Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Aftermarket Cats - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Aftermarket Cats

I know quite a lot of people have aftermarket cats fitted to their cars, but which manufacturers are the best in your opinion, bearing in mind the cost issue can escalate dramatically. From what I have seen advertised this appears to be due to the cosmetic finish as much as to the quality of the product.

Any feedback would be wery well appreciated

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I purchased the Larini sport cats when mine died....the cost was about 60% of standard Lotus product and we're told on LEW they do a better performance job...and they certainly looked good quality manufacture, in fact the tech guys at Stratton Motors who fitted them wanted to know where they came from cos they were that impressed!

Added to that i then had the car mot'd and it was spot on for emissions...and they sound fab in conjunction with the stubby pipes (no silencer) fitted to my car at the moment!!!

regards

jim

Cheers - jim

Iam going for the PNM ones when mine go only because I know them and know if I have any problems they will sort out. It's a biased opinion but an opinion nether the less!

Cost is about 35% of a Lotus one.

There's a few on here who have fitted them, maybe they can give their first hand views on them?

Iam going for the PNM ones when mine go only because I know them and know if I have any problems they will sort out. It's a biased opinion but an opinion nether the less!

Cost is about 35% of a Lotus one.

There's a few on here who have fitted them, maybe they can give their first hand views on them?

When we talk about sports cats can anyone quantify the mod in terms of performance at the wheels? I mean are we actually gonna be getting more power?

Jeff

I replaced mine with the ones that Marcus supplies about a year or 2 ago. In the most part I have been happy with them, I think the price was good, the quality appears good, they fitted fine and the turn around wasn't too shabby. The innards are metal and the outer stainless, so they shouldn't fall to bits like the Lotus ones.

The only thing I will say is that recently 1 of the welds on both of them in same place has developed a crack running about 180 degrees round the cat which I've had to have welded - though in defence of the cats, I have been suffering a bit of clutch judder since the last time I changed my clutch, which I blame for the cause.

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

I'd second the comments about the Larini cats supplied by Marcus re. look and feel, perceived quality, noise, performance etc. Unfortunately, a few weeks after fitting mine last summer one of the welds came adrift, completely. The cat ended up in two pieces. I returned it to Larini and they welded it up, doing a good job. All was fine for several months when the other cat suffered a similar failure - as I took the car to my dealer for its MOT in December! As before, the weld failed around the full circumference. Larini contributed to the cost of the repair.

I'll not offer any recommendation, these are the facts. Its your decision.

Unfortunately, a few weeks after fitting mine last summer one of the welds came adrift, completely. The cat ended up in two pieces.

Oh ;)

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

I've got the hangar111 sports cats. No issues - it passed the MOT - and only cost

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I've got the hangar111 sports cats. No issues - it passed the MOT - and only cost

I have already contacted Hangar111, and the chap that used to fabricate their cat replacements has moved on, so they no longer manufacture them at the moment.

Hmm, just hope they'll honour my two year warranty!

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Thanks John, lets see if they can match the prices !!

Glyn

Glyn,

If you are going to get a quote from them, could you ask if they would be prepared to make a complete set and not just chop up the originals?

I'm sure at a good price they would have alot of interest from this forum alone.

I have also gotten in touch with JAE in the states and can get a set of magnaflows for just under

Edited by Stuart

Stuart,

Pete at PNM is really tied up and finds it difficult to answer emails. If you want to PM, I'll see what deals I can do for you.

There's lots of aftermarket local exhaust places that will chop off your old car and weld a new one. CAT's only cost