Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Transmission Plugs And Bleed Plug Seized - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Transmission Plugs And Bleed Plug Seized

Problem 1:

Drain and refill plugs on transmission are seized. How do I remove them w/o breaking anything.( Looks like

sealing compound around both plugs.Do I need to add any sort of sealer when I screw them back?)

Problem 2:

Bleed plug in engine bay seized. Same question as above!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem 1:

Drain and refill plugs on transmission are seized. How do I remove them w/o breaking anything.( Looks like

sealing compound around both plugs.Do I need to add any sort of sealer when I screw them back?)

Problem 2:

I purchased a Snap-on 10mm female square for the transmission plugs. Mine came out easy with a 3/8 socket wrench. I do not recall seeing any sealant on the plugs either and I did not add any to them when I put the plugs back in (so far no leaks from the plugs.

Here is the web site that documents the change of the transmission oil change. http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...ission_oil.html

If you are taking about the coolant bleed screw on the engine... I have no idea what size it is... but I'm sure some else will know.

I hope this helps.

JoeyO

2001V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I have all the tools required but there is no way to unscrew these plugs...Too tight!!!

For the tranny plugs, should I heat them??? Use an impact wrench???

For the bleed plug, should I heat it too to make it easier to unscrew???

I have all the tools required but there is no way to unscrew these plugs...Too tight!!!

For the tranny plugs, should I heat them??? Use an impact wrench???

For the bleed plug, should I heat it too to make it easier to unscrew???

An impact wrench can be dangerous if the tool slips as it may malform the plug head - be careful if you choose this option.

Have you tried PB Blaster? I would saturate with PB, let sit 30 minutes, tap lightly with a hammer and try the socket wrench again.

Good luck.

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

I'm surprised that the plugs are seized in place. Either (i) someone put lock tight or another sealer on them or (ii) then never been removed. Either way doesn't sound good to me.

Hopefully you will be able to get them off without damaging the transmission housing.

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

• Gold FFM

@Bernie:

the plugs in the gearbox are conical --> that means you do not need a sealant generally . the only thing is to tighten them well... (but not to heavy, do not break the casing ) :smoke:

if they are often turnt, it is easy to loose them with a open metric spanner. but i welded a 13mm nut on it to use a wrench. (the heat of welding was of course also usefull to loose the plug... )

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 1 month later...
Problem 1:

Problem 2:

My coolant bleed plug had some kind of sealant on it also. It was a real pain to get out. Neither a 4mm or 5mm allan key worked. Believe it or not the one that fit was Standard size. I just applied a medium constant pressure till it stared turning. Took a while. I did use a little liquid penetrant but with all the sealant on it I dought it ever got through. I don't think heat would be a good idea cause of all the plastic close by.

Good luck