Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emissions Testing - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Emissions Testing

I failed an emissions test today because 3 items were found as NOT READY. I recently reset a check engine light caused by a spin at the track. Unfortunatley I don't think I used the scan tool option of not wiping out other data. I haven't driven it much since then so I'm assuming the computer lost most of its data for emissions stuff.

Does anyone know the "drive cycle" or how to simulate the drive cycle. I looked through the maintenance manual but couldn't find any details.

I think it has you go 40mph for 5 minutes with a/c on then off etc...

Thanks

Eric :smoke:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I failed an emissions test today because 3 items were found as NOT READY. I recently reset a check engine light caused by a spin at the track. Unfortunatley I don't think I used the scan tool option of not wiping out other data. I haven't driven it much since then so I'm assuming the computer lost most of its data for emissions stuff.

Does anyone know the "drive cycle" or how to simulate the drive cycle. I looked through the maintenance manual but couldn't find any details.

Thanks

Eric :smoke:

My dealer said I need to drive the car for atleast one full tank of gas. But I think that is overkill. Since I have a scan tool I always check the car before going to the emissions to make sure it will pass.

I would just drive the car a few days and then get it retested.

JoeyO

2001V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

• Gold FFM

i m not sure if it is the same in US (more restriction in california emmission laws?), but my european version "learns" ( info based on drivers manual, and own experiences) after total resetting (disconected battery) the main engine setting with no help. Only thing to do is go on a short trip (some KM / ore "miles" in your meaning...) with low trottle (not more than 3000 revs) . You can see the "relearning" by the unstable idle and a to late trottle reaction...

in my opinion should a good code reader/eraser only delete the section with stored troubble codes, not the complete engine management data!

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks

Eric :cool:

I took mine for a test with only about 7 miles and one warm up/cool down cycle before - and no effort given to 'retrain' the ECM after a flat battery. It passed but the tester did comment that it had initially failed one measurement that just seemed to sort itself when he gave it a second look. ECM learning just in the nick of time maybe?

Immediately after passing the MOT (when the tester drove the car out and switched off!) the water re-circulation pump (pumps water around after you have switched of if the water temps a bit high and is located behind the drivers seat) started screaming its head off VERY loudly... I'm sure these cars understand how to take the piss.. 'Yea, okay I'll pass the MOT - this time! But then I'll wipe that smug grin of relief from his face and break down straight after!' -

Edited by jeff_hooper

Takes about ~200 miles to get all the ready tests off to need to pass CA emissions

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Takes about ~200 miles to get all the ready tests off to need to pass CA emissions

Try these

1. The best way to get the O2 heater, EVAP and Secondary AIR tests to run is

to idle the vehicle. I just started it from cold and let it idle until it

had reached fully warm and these three bits had reset.

2. As you know the O2 sensor and the EGR were a bit trickier, but we

modified the calibration to make the conditions for the checks a bit easier

to hold. In general for the O2 sensor you need to run pretty steady on the

throttle between 35-55mph in 5th for half a minute or so. For EGR the enable

conditions are engine speed above 1500rpm and a light acceleration for about

10 seconds, this should keep the load on the engine just higher than normal

cruising roadload and allow a high enough level of EGR for the test to run.

3. I'm still looking through the catalyst monitor test code, but when I did

the checks here this test ran very easily during normal driving of the car.

I managed to reset the CAT monitor bit just driving the car along the road

into Wymondham (50mph limit)

The reason that the EVAP was not completed could be that the engine was not

cold enough when it was started and idled through to fully warm, a cold

start and idle should reset this one.

As for the oxygen sensor and EGR I'm not sure....

However if the dealership has a Tech1 that they can hook up to the car and

monitor engine data whilst they drive, the window for the oxygen sensor test

is engine speed between 1140 and 2200rpm, throttle position between 3.5 and

10.5% and MAP between 30 and 65 kPa, (usually 50mph in 5th gear). They need

to stay in this window for at least 35 seconds.

The EGR window is a bit more complicated, but in general the engine speed

needs to be greater than 1500rpm and the MAP needs to be greater than 45

kPa, but not too much greater because the EGR rate will start to reduce with

increasing MAP. That's why a gentle acceleration for about 10 seconds from

an engine speed of 1700rpm is enough to reset the EGR bit.

I've tried everything mentioned and still can not get the O2, EGR, or secondary airpump to show ready. The Lotus mech said the Esprit 1999 doesn't even have a secondary air pump. Any comments?

The next step will be to disconnect the battery overnight and go through the ECU relearning process. Maybe it will get these items to kick on.

Is there a common plug for these 3 items into the ECU that might be bad? I figured if it was a bad connection a fault code would show.

Thanks

Hi

There are two totally differant proceeders, ecm relearn is for fuel trim, idle and drivabilty. emission testing on OBD2 is proceeders the ecm carries out by testing O2, cats, purge and tank leak tests, in the US after a code reset the vehicle must be driven from cold to make sureO2 heaters and cat tests are completed. recomended is drive for a couple of days and drive on the highway at a substained speed for 10mins at 45mph.

In OBD2 generic look at the monitors and check to make sure tests is showing complete.

usually the tank must be above 1/4 but not full and ambiant temp under 100 degrees or the evap test wont run. (A summer prob we have here in PHX)

post-3291-1182795046.jpg

• Gold FFM
...The Lotus mech said the Esprit 1999 doesn't even have a secondary air pump. Any comments?...

my is an 1998/99 continental (europe) version. Ratet as "Euro-2" emission-class vehicle, it hase nothing of those EGR-pipes from left hand bank and also not the black (rubber?) tube coming from leftside engine-compartement paneel.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to get my emissions done... it failed beacuse the ODB was not ready. Battery died so the ECU reset itself. I have over 200 miles since the reset and still waiting on the O2 and Evap to go thru it's cycle. This is a pain...!!! I have tried everything on this form and still the O2 and the Evap have not reset. Is there a quick way to reset these two items.

I have 1/2 tank of gas but still the evap will not run and the temp outside has been in the 80's.

Any help or ideas to get these two items reset?

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

• Gold FFM

i have heared Tech 1 , and some aftermarket Laptop OBD diagnostics can actuate evap and test O2 sensors.... .

Edited by G