Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 Air Bags - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Air Bags

Ok, the GM switch gear doesn't bother me on these cars. Even Ferrari used to raid the FIAT parts bins for these kind of bits. New Lambo Gallardo... yea, you can see the AUDI stuff there too.

But, why god why did LOTUS use the GM steering wheel? I haven't seen one in person but almost every picture I've seen the thing looks God awful. Off color and just a bit out of place. Then I'll see another pic and it looks like the color matches perfectly and it fits in fine. :o

Then while cruising around the internet (I was working I swear) I came across the pics below on a car on Ebay and also read something about a "Daytona" wheel replacement that has an airbag in it.

Is the steering wheel below the Daytona wheel? I can't make it out in the photos on my computer but it looks like the spoke in the six O'clock position has SRS embossed on it. Am I wrong? If so what can you guys tell me about this wheel and how much is it. Not that I'm in the market for one, or a car for that matter. It's just that inquiring minds (mine) want to know.

post-622-1123025234.jpg

post-622-1123025244.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raid wheels do have Air Bags in them. One of my buddies had a machine shop fabricate the tooling to create hub adaptors to fit the raid wheels. The hub adaptor kit comes with the necessary attachments and I believe there are a few available for about $150 or so. I paid about $500-600 for my wheel but that was a group buy. The wheel totally changes the feel in the driver seat, the wheel is much fatter in circumference and smaller in outer diameter=more leg room and better hand feel. Send me your email and I will send some digital photos for you if you would like.

Cheers!

Dan Adragna

dadragna@cfl.rr.com

Then while cruising around the internet (I was working I swear) I came across the pics below on a car on Ebay and also read something about a "Daytona" wheel replacement that has an airbag in it.

Is the steering wheel below the Daytona wheel?

Here is a RAID Daytona wheel on a Jim Knowles adapter hub on my '01 Esprit:

Stay well,

Paul

'01 Esprit - Intercooled, Chipped & Quaifed

'07 Hummer H3 - 315's & Adventure Pkg

pyodice@sbhcs.com

Also, does the RAID wheel have the same charge/inflation, deflation rate and bag size as the stock unit? Or is it kind of a

Stay well,

Paul

pyodice@sbhcs.com

The pic you posted IS a daytona.  They come with different finishes, ie leather, brushed metal, carbon etc but all are essentially the same wheel.  Looks like someone has added a "lotus" badge on that one too, its not a factory lotus wheel.  The only v8 wheels used were the ugly gm airbag wheel, the momo non-airbag wheel and some sport 350's had a different momo (shuttle).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it is not a Daytona, probably a Type 1 or Type 2 Raid airbag wheel. Only real difference between them is the location of the horn buttons and the choices of finish.

Stay well,

Paul

pyodice@sbhcs.com

I have a beautiful Momo with no airbag in my Esprit.  Simply disconnect the passneger and driver's air bags so my kids don't get smushed as passenges.

Feff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have a photo to share? How old ar the kids? I was thinking of doing the same, but my daughter, at 5yrs old, is still a peanut - 35lbs and 36" tall and I keep her in her car seat still.

Thanks,

Paul

Stay well,

Paul

pyodice@sbhcs.com

senna,

The wheel in your first post is a Raid Freeway in all black. You can see all of the Raid airbag styles here:

http://digbig.com/4edxn

We actually have a Lotus group buy going on now on any of the Raid wheels and the adapter kit. If anyone is interested email me directly for the info.

Cheers,

Jim

95 S4s

1995 S4s

Here is a RAID Daytona wheel on a Jim Knowles adapter hub on my '01 Esprit:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dr. Paul , as you use this car on the racetrack I would advise you to remove the airbag wheel and substitute it with a non-SRS wheel.

If you have a small shunt on the racetrack at high speed ,the bag will blow your hands off the wheel and you will totally loose control of the car, possibly getting into a much worse situation.

If you dont want to remove the wheel, then at least wire in a defeat switch to disable the bags whilst you are on the track.

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Dr. Paul , as you use this car on the racetrack I would advise you to remove the airbag wheel and substitute it with a non-SRS wheel.

If you have a small shunt on the racetrack at high speed ,the bag will blow your hands off the wheel and you will totally loose control of the car, possibly getting into a much worse situation.

If you dont want to remove the wheel, then at least wire in a defeat switch to disable the bags whilst you are on the track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the advice Wayne. I usually pull the fuses on both sides for the track. Is this insufficient to prevent the bags from firing?

Thanks,

Paul

Stay well,

Paul

pyodice@sbhcs.com

Pulling the fuses should stop them firing

I prefer them completely out just in case of a short somewhere in the wiring.

Saw one go off at my local racetrack 3 yrs. ago.

Bag blew drivers hands up into the windsheild

Hands were swollen up and looked like boxing gloves

Car had a relitively light shunt and he would have been fine if it wasnt for the SRS deploying :huh:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Paul:

Here's a photo fo the Momo in my Esprit. Like you my oldest is a peanut (her nick name is Bean Pot, but don't ask why) and my youngest, age 6 is the same size as his sister. Just seemed prudent to disconnect the passenger air bag. Not to mention it turns off the stupid light on the dash with both bags disconnected.

Feff

post-114-1124104300.jpg

post-140-1124637989.jpg

Any good ideas on adding a Lotus logo to the Raid steering wheels?  Mine will be here soon from the group buy, and thought that would add a nice touch.

Ed-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got this logo from ebay. I think they are listed as headrest logo's and come in pairs for around $8.00. It has the same brushed aluminum finish as the Daytona. I haven't found anythink that looks better and does not pose a safety concern.

post-140-1124637989.jpg

I got this logo from ebay. I think they are listed as headrest logo's and come in pairs for around $8.00. It has the same brushed aluminum finish as the Daytona. I haven't found anythink that looks better and does not pose a safety concern.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I LIKE IT! I put the same logo on the head-rest of my seats.

garage_gallery-73-1124587934_thumb.jpg

Any good ideas on adding a Lotus logo to the Raid steering wheels?  Mine will be here soon from the group buy, and thought that would add a nice touch.

Ed-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any pictures of the Raid steering wheel? <- duh, there is one in the post above..

What are the prices for these steering wheels. I missed the group buy posting.

Edited by actwon

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

post-140-1124637989.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adds the finishing touch. I'll have to get that logo myself.

Stay well,

Paul

pyodice@sbhcs.com

Any pictures of the Raid steering wheel?  <-  duh, there is one in the post above.. 

What are the prices for these steering wheels.  I missed the group buy posting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actwon,

email me directly and I'll get you the info. In a nushell, the pricing is about $650-800 US depending on the wheel style. That price includes the custom adapter, wiring, fasteners and airbag connector and shipping.

Cheers,

Jim

1995 S4s

actwon,

email me directly and I'll get you the info. In a nushell, the pricing is about $650-800 US depending on the wheel style. That price includes the custom adapter, wiring, fasteners and airbag connector and shipping.

Cheers,

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also included in the package as a bonus is weapons of mass destruction President Bush is looking for!

Cheers!

Edited by Toua