Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Workshop manuals - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Workshop manuals

• Gold FFM

Do the workshop manuals give a better write up/indication of how the car was built in relation to the pictures in the parts manual?

I’m trying to work out the correct orientation of the nuts bolts and washers that go to make up the headlamp inner and outer pivots, and the part catalog is a bit misleading.

for instance:- does the inner headlamp pivot also double up as the bonnet hinge?

any help, greatly appreciated.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

No. And Yes.🥴

Often, you need BOTH service manual and parts list to get an idea of how stuff fits.  Other times, the parts are just shown 'floating in space' so that you don't have any idea where in the car they attach. And there is no procedure for fitting in the Service Notes. (Says right in the FORWARD the 'Notes are for the Journeyman Mechanic...) 🤡

I'm sure someone will give you the details of the bonnet/pod hinge combination. I've not needed to touch ours, as my yearly maintenance routine includes dripping a drop of oil onto the pod pivots...

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Thanks carbuff, maybe the 170 odd quid outlay for a copy of the manual is not worth it if it’s been written for the “journeyman mechanic”

the only reason I need the information is that the car has been resprayed and it needs all new components for the pivot build up. I have all the bits, just no decisive picture or text of the order.

It could possibly be - refitting is reverse of removal! Problem is I didn’t remove them...  🙄

You can normally pick them up on eBay for £40-£50.

Edit: If you do, make sure it's been updated as pages & sections were periodically replaced, along with the corresponding index.

Edited by andydclements

3 hours ago, Gjk said:

It could possibly be - refitting is reverse of removal! Problem is I didn’t remove them...  🙄

I see that you memorized part of the the last step., but don't forget the second line: "Making all necessary adjustments if needed"

😂

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I recently had to refit the pods and bonnet after replacing an outer pivot -  I removed a pod to get a drill to the rivets, but the inner bolt had fatigued and instantly sheared off in the hinge, necessitating removing the other pod and bonnet to sort 😭

So yes, on my X180 the inner bolts go through a washers and a pivot on the pod, a second pivot on the body and into the bonnet hinge..  Good luck lining it all up with one set of hands and eyes - and be careful any wiring routed underneath doesn't get trapped the wrong side of the hinge otherwise it'll foul when the bonnet is opened.

The parts manual doesn't seem to show two pivots being needed for each side inboard, but I got the replacement pivot off a later pod so I know there should be one on it as well as the body.  The outer ends of my pods don't have pivots on the pods, only one per side on the body.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Jaytwo, that makes sense and the parts manual almost matches. The manual can’t be trusted as it specifies 4 pivot plates, I thought 2 per pod (inboard and outboard pivots) but as you correctly state there are only 3 in the whole pod to body arrangement. The pivots on my chassis are ok so I only need to replace one in each pod on the inner pivot position.

• Like 1