Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carputer - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Carputer

added a carputer system to my RX-7.

Carmen, my current 1985 GSL-SE, had originally received Pamela's Sony CD/ MP3 player. A gorgeous unit that, when set in orange illumination mode, looked high-tech and yet factory at the same time.

But after 6 years and a lot of use, it's speaker output began to fail. At the same time, my interest in carputers was growing. And so I contacted Chris Wood at Mobile Computer Solutions in Pennsylvania, and had him create a system within my specs.

Jetway Mini ITX Motherboard w/ 2.0Ghz C7 CPU

1GB DDR2 Kingston RAM

120GB 2.5" Seagate SATA HD

External USB DVD R/RW drive

Built in Bluetooth & Wireless LAN

CF/PCMCIA Daughterboard

M2 ATX 160W Smart Automatic Power Supply

GPS Receiver

$739

Centrafuse XLE Deluxe with GPS including Canada $249

XP Pro $149

XP Lite to reduce boot up time $60

Lilliput HR703 $235

Total would be $1,422.

Package arrives from Mobile Computing Solutions in Pennsylvania. Chris kept in constant communication with me - letting me know when the software was installed, the system was tested, packed, shipped, etc.

01.jpg

Monitor, CPU, cabling, remote, remote receiver, GPS antenna, and external DVD drive

02.jpg

same kit, unpacked. Not shown: user manuals

03.jpg

MCS makes their own cases and brands their peripherals

04.jpg

The 7" touch-screen Lilliput monitor came with a bevelled surround, as it's meant to be installed in headrests.

05.jpg

Monitor, surround, and SE dash waterfall. The monitor is almost precisely 2.5 DIN high and 7" wide, filling the stereo opening nicely

06.jpg

Alas, the flanges top and bottom prevent it from fitting as it should.

08.jpg

You can see, however, that the monitor looks practically stock in that position

09.jpg

... and fits brilliantly. Too bad about the 7" wide by 6" deep stereo spot behind the monitor that'll now just be dead space!

10.jpg

rough cut installation of surround:

11.jpg

Holding the glue...

12.jpg

the finished body-colour / clearcoat dash piece with integrated monitor surround

13.jpg

Monitor fits in through the front...

14.jpg

the completed monitor install.

15.jpg

Optical drive installed - note the CD cases below to get an idea of how small it is.

16.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice, i do a full range of carputers also including the front end software set up to however you want it, including satnav/gps built in also. erm.. just in case anyone is interested..

Looks fantastic, I've been thinking of doing something similar in my Range Rover, but at the same time I'm thinking of trading it in .....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!