Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Whining belt - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Whining belt

nic996

Hello all. Merry Christmas first of all!

I haven’t had my car on the road for long and I have no comparisons but the cam belt is fairly loud. It whines like a supercharger in the first bmw minis. (Sorry, it’s the only comparison I have.) Is this normal? Or is it a little tight? I did the tension by measuring frequency. 

cheers

nic. 

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

They do whine but I wouldn't call it loud, depends on the exhaust not I suppose. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Is this a black standard belt or a blue one? 

blues do whine a lot if tensioned to the same frequency as the black ones. 

frequency is a good method of tensioning - but the twist method and feel just can’t be beaten

Only here once

Thanks for the input. The exhaust is bloody loud! Tunnel tested today.  My first born was very pleased and he likes all things very loud! Perhaps a little over tensioned then. Thanks again! 

• Like 1

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

If a standard OEM belt is audibly whining like a supercharger, its too tight.  If the 2 tensioner springs are clapped out, its possible for the belt to be correctly tensioned when cold, but too tight when hot.        

Its a manual tensioner. It’s owner error. And a fresh engine rebuild. Albeit 6 years ago. But it’s only just going now 😳

• 5 months later...