Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ESPRIT HANDBRAKE QUERY - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content


IGNORED

ESPRIT HANDBRAKE QUERY


Recommended Posts

1982 Turbo - should the handbrake when appplied food back down flat so you can exit the car more easily or should it stick up in the air?

i remember on a 1988 Esprit I had it folded nicely down but I can’t remember what my 1980 S2 brake was like. 

My current turbo handbrake clicks on about two or three ratchet stops but then doesn’t fold out of the way. Some things I’ve read seem to indicate this is normal but I’m wanting to check whether this is the case and I know people on here will have the right experience. 

Thanks as always 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Bazza - that makes me feel a whole lot better and one less job to consider looking into. 

It doesn’t feel right that it doesn’t fall to the floor but if that’s what it’s supposed to be like, I’m happy with that - cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My ‘84 TE has the ‘fixed’ handbrake lever, unlike my ‘90 car which has the ‘fly’ lever.

Anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit the later lever to an early car without having problems with cables etc? The outer sill is already off the TE so swapping it would be easy enough if it’s feasible.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since its been discovered other cars use the same size rear calipers as the Esprit, it would be great if there were some with electric handbrake! Then the lever could be thrown away and carpeted over.

Electric handbrake calipers are very cool, incredibly simple, they just have a small 12v motor on the back which winds a screw in or out which presses on the piston. There is no ratchet to wear out, no seizing cables or linkages, no adjustment and retracting the piston simply means applying 12V to the motor in the reverse direction before pressing the piston back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2021 at 09:56, Andyww said:

Since its been discovered other cars use the same size rear calipers as the Esprit, it would be great if there were some with electric handbrake! Then the lever could be thrown away and carpeted over.

Ooh yes please! That’d be a very cool ‘stealth’ upgrade which i’d be happy to make on my TE project. I’m all for originality but a bit of subtle, hidden modernisation is fine with me.

Wasn’t it Passat callipers that fitted straight on? Maybe later Passats with electric parking brake might fit.

Almost surprising that one of the specialists like PNM hasn’t cooked up a conversion...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Ooh yes please! That’d be a very cool ‘stealth’ upgrade which i’d be happy to make on my TE project. I’m all for originality but a bit of subtle, hidden modernisation is fine with me.

Wasn’t it Passat callipers that fitted straight on? Maybe later Passats with electric parking brake might fit.

Almost surprising that one of the specialists like PNM hasn’t cooked up a conversion...

They have.

Do keep up, 007.............

  • Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PNM has a rear brake caliper kit for 1981-1985 Esprits. 
 

Perhaps Andyww is referring to  actuators rather than rear brake kits (which include a shorter parking brake line)? 
 

Cheers,

Scott

614B6DE5-E543-4F8E-AE95-D1B8FA2EBD4C.png

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/01/2021 at 21:44, eeyoreish said:

My ‘84 TE has the ‘fixed’ handbrake lever, unlike my ‘90 car which has the ‘fly’ lever.

Anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit the later lever to an early car without having problems with cables etc? The outer sill is already off the TE so swapping it would be easy enough if it’s feasible.

I’ve purchased a used ‘multiplier’ lever setup for my 82 TE restoration to retrofit. I am just swapping the lever itself so will not benefit from any ‘multiplier’ effort as such but at least it will fold flat.

My 93 S4 folded flat and it made getting in/out that bit easier, especially as i am a bit short in the leg (seat further forward!) and I'm that bit older now too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Famous last words but i think the lever itself will be a straightforward retrofit.

If i recall correctly the microswitch for the handbrake light is mounted differently but thats about it.

Will find out for sure when I come to fit it this spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, serve personalized ads or content, and analyze our traffic. By clicking " I Accept ", you consent to our use of cookies. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.