Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyre advice - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre advice

Hello, I've got a sport 350 currently on cup 2's (215/265). Looks like the rears are at 3mm and I've got 2 trackdays booked so I'm looking to replace the rears like for like but impossible to get hold of 265/35/18 cup 2s at the moment! Someone prove me wrong pls!!

I was wondering if the 285/30/18 cup 2 tyre would fit the oem wheels or would there be fitment issues? 

For those who may be in a similar position to me, I spoke with Michelin and a couple of tyre suppliers. The cup 2 connect tyres in both 215/45/17 and 265/35/18 are currently out of stock with no date set for when stock will be replenished.

I will likely get some ps4 tyres all round and use them on my upcoming track day and through winter. And purchase a set of cup 2 connects next year.

Has anyone had any experience with ps4 tyres on track (such a shame the ps4s are not available in our sizes).

As a possible alternative, I have recently had the new Bridgestone Potenza Sports fitted. They are a UHP tyre rivalling the Michelin PS4S and are available in stock 17" and 18" sizes. I ran them at a Bedford track evening last Thursday (wet) and was impressed with how progressive they are in greasy and drying conditions. Here is the review that led me to them:

Thanks, that's really helpful to know and a good alternative to the PS4. Also they seem well priced at around £500 for a full set.

How did the wear look after the trackday? I've read a review on tyrereviews, someone complaining about terrible tyre wear after a trackday (obv. they didn't provide any specifics that would be helpful!!).

It was a damp start to the track evening but a dry line developed for 30-45 mins before another deluge hit so conditions were definitely changeable...

I was impressed, the tyres didn't melt / marble up heavily as they heated up and managing pressures kept them in a decent zone for grip. They seem sharper to turn in than the PS4, I presume from a stiffer sidewall construction. I can't really comment how they would last if the conditions were dry and hot, but as I use my car mainly on the road in British weathers with the odd track day thrown I am very happy with them.

• Thanks 1

I started out at 30f 32r (psi) but after my first session (drying) these were 35f 37r so I dropped them (while hot) to 31f 33r. They would then have cooled / dropped further but seemed to give good grip over the next few sessions. I also drove home on them like this, and current (cold) pressures are 27f 29.5r which feel ok but I will probably raise a little to 28f 30r.

Thanks, I've ordered the bridgestones. I'll be sad to see the cup 2's go however I'll stick the cup 2 connects on next spring and the bridgestones will get me through autumn / winter. Michelin have awful stock issues at the moment. I've got Donnington and Snetterton booked over the next month so should be able to report back on how they perform on track.

• 2 weeks later...