Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Double chargecooler radiator? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Double chargecooler radiator?

Hi,

Has anyone considered about double CC radiator already? Sport 300 has two I think. My idea is to remove AC completely (weight saving) and instead of AC radiator fit second CC radiator.

Your comments would be appreciated!

Looking forward,

Borut

LOTUS Esprit Turbo SE, 1990

P.U.K. racing turbo charger

ECU chip 1.1 bar

Motorsport racing fuel pump

RC racing High Flow secondary injectors

RC racing High Flow primary injectors

custom made titanium free flow exhaust

Electric CC pump

Double size Chargecooler, heavy duty version

Racing air filter

BOV

Crankcase Breather filter

Ram air converison

Uprated Valeo clutch with 25% more torque

KW85 HT leads, IW22 spark plugs

S4S wheels, front mask, rear spoiler

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a similar plan.

Mine is usingv the air con rad for the charge cooler (G body car with later engine). I've purchase a new combined air con and charge cooler rad, and plan to run them parallel as the sport 300 did.

Andy

I've got a similar plan.

Mine is usingv the air con rad for the charge cooler (G body car with later engine). I've purchase a new combined air con and charge cooler rad, and plan to run them parallel as the sport 300 did.

Andy

Hi Andy,

thanks for info. Sport 300 have 2 radiators in parallel or in serial wiring?

rgds, B

LOTUS Esprit Turbo SE, 1990

P.U.K. racing turbo charger

ECU chip 1.1 bar

Motorsport racing fuel pump

RC racing High Flow secondary injectors

RC racing High Flow primary injectors

custom made titanium free flow exhaust

Electric CC pump

Double size Chargecooler, heavy duty version

Racing air filter

BOV

Crankcase Breather filter

Ram air converison

Uprated Valeo clutch with 25% more torque

KW85 HT leads, IW22 spark plugs

S4S wheels, front mask, rear spoiler

They're parallel according to the manual, I guess it allows the water to flower faster, so the heat transfer at the charge cooler is more effective, and the two rads can facilitatel with the extra heat radiation necessary.

I had initially thought that serial would have been more effective, then realised Lotus ho Lotus had it set up for the 300, and the fact that 2 rads would have put a lot of resistance to flow in that circuit, so probably have made it less effective than a single rad.

Andy

S_300_manual.pdf

300_c_cooler.pdf

I'm in the process of having a 2" thick aluminum high flow radiator made for my car instead of the old A/C condensor. I talked to a well known US road racer who runs a liquid intercooled 3 rotor(Wankel) engine/turbo combo and the A/C condensor cores although good material and thickness pose significant restriction to coolant flow. A/C Freon/coolants are pumped by the compressor at 100psi or more whereby the restriction is of no consequence. We are trying to push 12 gallons per minute thru this core with a measley 5 or 6 psi electric or mechanical pump. I'll be posting pics when I get the heat exchanger/ rad in the next 2 weeks.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

Having the rads off my car at present and about to replace my old CC/aircon rad with the brand new one I got from the lotus parts sale, Im fairly certain I wont be putting back the aircon becuase its the old type, and ill just use the Aircon rad for the charge cooler. However, I've had a good look at the S300 setup for the rad but I would have thought that in terms of flow efficency it would have been far better to have the rad in serial. The S300 setup has a T after a bend to split the flow to the second rad. Its just looks awkward in terms of flow.

Just interest in peoples opinions and experience before I take the plunge and have to deciede which way to set it up.

Edited by CarlC

If you opt for serial, although the output water temperature will be lower, the flow will also reduce, so you may find the water has time to heat up again in the chassis pipes, so reducing the additional cooling.

I'm opting for parallel as the Sport 300 had it, all be it with a few changes due to my car's (almost) unique set up.

Andy

I'd be intersted to know how this (Double) set up compares with one big one, like Dermot's set up and the type Marcus et al sell?

Any comments?

Thanks,

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Thanks for the reply Andy,

The bit I was struggling with is, if the volume of water is the same and the system is sealed why would flow be affected negatively with the rads connected in serial. If anything flow going to a T would seem to be more likely to cause a reduction in flow. However, thankfully the light bulbs just turned on. Lotus obviously setup the rads in parrallel because the aircon rad looks to be a smaller bore than the chargecooler. In which case with the rads connected in serial it would cause a flow restriction. So parrallel it is then.

B)

thanks all.

Reading your reply I think you answered your own question.

However, even if the air con rad had the same bore, it would still reduce flow in series, as the resistance to flow would be increased, so the cc pump (whether electrical or mechanical) would be less able to push the water.

Andy