Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brembo's on an 88 turbo - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brembo's on an 88 turbo

I have done this and so far am not impressed!

Had a V8 with brembo's a while back and that was great..

Do I change the master cylinder to cope with the new calipers or is it a vacum issue???

Any guru's on here??

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you lock the wheels up ? If so then the brakes are fine.

Might be a power assist issue - the biggest plus with the brembos is the clamping force from 4 pistons and the better design of the body itself.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Running Lotus discs and pads, wheels can lock up with a bloody hard shove of the peddal... they just don't seem to have much bite?? Maybe need diffrent pads??? Infact I think it may have been the rears that Locked?? Brembo too by the way, greenstuff pads and ebc discs on rear..

Mark

Hi Mark,

Could be the pads?

I had the monster 6 calipers on mine and didn't change the servo. Feel was still a bit wooden but they certainly dragged it to a halt. Ihad grennstuff pads on the front and bremb pads on the rear.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Are the pads bedded in ?

Might be worth changing them, making sure the pads are also sitting OK.

Not sure what the master cylinder can cope with on the standrd car - I have the AP stuff to fit to the SE but I was going to up the master cylinder bore to accomodate for the increased piston size on the other end of the pipe.

See with the rears you have similar piston size (x1) the fronts have gone from a floating single to a 4 pot fixed.

I would have thought the clamping pressure would have dropped becuase of the # of pistons / surface area ? (unless I am wrong)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Mark,

Get some more aggressive pads, or check the rubber you have on the front. If your brakes are good and are locking up hard rubber, they'll not stop well. Friction between the tire and road makes a big improvement in braking. I'd try some Hawk HPS or Black pads, I wouldn't think you'd need a bigger master cylinder as I have 6 pot Wilwoods up front and the master cylinder moves the fluid just fine. I got the brakes with standard "Tan" wilwood pads and they were abysmal compared to my Blacks! Kinda dusty, but they sure stop!!!!! I vote for the blacks as I run them on my RX7 and the Esprit and love em, bite is awesome and they don't fade on the track either! Also, they are quiet, not noisy at all but are a bit dusty. I just blow em off when I get into the garage when I get home from a drive.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Never heard od Black pads< are they a US thing or are they available in the UK??? Tyres are new bridgestone potenza pole posttion SO3 i think or SO50?? not sure..... They do stop me and my mate managed to lock them up but they feel kinda wooden if you know what I mean... Daily I have a VW and that in comparison will almost stuff me throuh windscreen with the same kind of braking.... Strange, maybe just need to get used to it and get some grippy pads???

PAD SUGGESTIONS ON A POSTCARD...........

Cheers

Mark

I am sure that Blacks are available worldwide! Clicky on the motorsports page. They are a motorsports compound but are very good! http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports...ounds/index.php You could try the HPS, but I think the Blacks are better suited to the earlier 89, 88 cars as the manual brakes with Vacuum pump assist really need agressive pads to bring them alive! Did you happen to flush the old fluid out and replace with new? Also, did you happen to pull the pistons on the new Brembos and ensure they moved freely? My new Wilwoods had a couple of pistons from new that were a little bound in the bores so I pulled all the pistons and coated them with new fluid and lubed the O-rings too and they all moved freely.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm