Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Leaky fuel tank - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Leaky fuel tank

westhamtim

Morning

So, just over a week into V8 ownership and I'm faced with an A service, reversing lights not working (hopefully just a switch on the gearbox), one of the cats having sheered off (only 6 months old so hopefully Larini will replace, although as I didn't buy it according to their website I am not entitled to the lifetime guarantee - be prepared for some ranting posts if they wash their hands!) and an apparent fuel tank leak (unconfirmed as to exactly what the source is).

Car is going to Sinclaire's tomorrow but over the phone Wayne suggested that if it's just one of the tanks that is rusting (I reckon it could be both but the near side appears to be the main culprit) then I could consider just blocking that off and running on one tank. Does anybody have any experience / thoughts on this? Obviously my capacity will be halved, and apparently the dash reading comes from the near side tank. Also any prospective buyer will consider it a botch-job (hopefulyl not an issue for a while - only had it a week!). The previous owner only had a new clutch / engine put in a year ago so no economies of scale to be had, but given my luck I could just wait until something else goes wrong and the engine needs to come out before I have the full works done.

Oh, and anybody fancy a 98 Elise? I need the cash!

Cheers

Tim

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about your V8GT (in your profile/sig) then you'll need the nearside tank to be fully functional as it's the only one that has a filler neck!

It's not unheard of for the nearside tank to be the first to go on 1998 and later cars, simply because the grommet that surrounds the filler perishes and lets rainwater to find it's way to the tank.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to give your wallet a bashing ;)

Paul / Paula - my philosophy too. My current wallet situation however demands an investigation of the alternatives!

GKP - nope. Filler is on the other side (passenger - driver's side is the main problem causer (I thought this was near)).

Thanks for input though. Fingers still crossed that it's something innocent.

Cheers

Tim

I don't know how good it is, but you can buy a chemical to form a second tank inside the original one, POR 15 do a kit.

It does mean more work than a new tank as you still have to remove it, then you have to do all the prep work and pour the chemical in etc.

Andy

Car is going to Sinclaire's tomorrow but over the phone Wayne suggested that if it's just one of the tanks that is rusting (I reckon it could be both but the near side appears to be the main culprit) then I could consider just blocking that off and running on one tank. Does anybody have any experience / thoughts on this? Obviously my capacity will be halved, and apparently the dash reading comes from the near side tank. Also any prospective buyer will consider it a botch-job (hopefulyl not an issue for a while - only had it a week!). The previous owner only had a new clutch / engine put in a year ago so no economies of scale to be had, but given my luck I could just wait until something else goes wrong and the engine needs to come out before I have the full works done.

Nearside is the side near to the kerb so on a UK car that's the passenger/LH side (I got that confused at first when ordering a cat).

But you say the main problem is with the RHS? Well, it's true that side does have the fuel gauge sender which is not strictly speaking necessary, but unfortunately the twin fuel pumps are also in there. And the tanks aren't symmetical so you'd have to drill a big hole in the top the the LH tank and move the fuel pumps over, which in itself would require removing them!

However, it's highly unlikely that both tanks are leaking so if you're loosing petrol at both sides with the RHS being worse, I think its more likely the problem is with the balancing pipe between the tanks. If the connection to the RH tank is loose or there's a hole in the pipe, most or the petrol would come out at that side. But you'd also get a small amount trickle along the bottom of the pipe and drip out at the LHS. Checking that should be relatively easy (block off the filler and venting and pressurise the tanks), and the balancing pipes can be refitted/replaced with the tanks in place.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I did my V8 tanks myself - 96MY.

Left side was leaking (near side) and I could tell it wasn't a connection leak after a thorough investigation from onto and from underneath. You need to get the car nice and high or maybe work out of a pit but before I started the job I was entirely satisfied the leak was coming from the tank base and not from elsewhere.

I decided that as a good portion of the work involved was stripping out the top of the engine, rear hatch etc. the last thing I wanted to do was half the job again shortly after for the other tank. So I did both at once.

The Right side was equally as rusty in the same area of the base and I am sure would have been leaking within a relatively short period.

I'd guess doing both tanks at once isn't quite double the job. Its maybe 1 and 2/3rds! So there is some economy in having them both done at once and it also gives piece of mind...

Jeff

Plenum, Cam covers, Injector rails. Dozens of electrical connections/engine management stuff need disconnecting...

Trim a couple of mm of the upper bodywork butress (same trick as 4 cylinder tank replacement detailed on here). Then you can just and I mean ONLY JUST wriggle and drag the tank out scrapping paint of the tank in the process on the Cam studs.. Its so tight its almost like Lotus planned it that way LOL...

I also took the seats out and the sunroof off which proved very useful to get access into the engine area from another direction and the only way to get a second pair of hands in to help.

Jeff

post-610-1188679362.jpg

Thanks all for your input. I've just had word back from Sinclaire's that they've had a good look and the only indication of a leak is coming from the balancing pipe. They're going to remove and refit this with new clips and hopefully this will fix the problem. This is a massive relief as I was bricking it over the possibility of an unexpected huge bill turning up so soon after buying it.

Cheers

Tim