Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
stability on road with or without wing & front spoiler? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

stability on road with or without wing & front spoiler?

Hello;

This forum is providency for french Esprit V8 owners...

To feel ok with my "design sensitivity" i have put of the rear wing and front low spoiler of my V8( this one was too close the road ).

But now i have the sensation that the car is "dancing" on the road. As my dampers are not very new; i don't know if they are guilty or if it's because i'm wing less.

Do you have some experiences of this topic ?

Bye

JR

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi JR,

the rear V8 spoiler doesnt do much until high speeds, at the oxford meet this year Brian Angus said at speed in excess of 125 mph the rear wing created significant down force, however the front diffuser spoiler might have more effect dont know about that one. Iasked because my GT3 had a V8 wing stuck on it. Not any more, however I do still have the transom lip spoiler still on.

Alex

JR,

If your V8 is a GT then it wasn't meant to have the rear wing.

As Alex says, the rear wing only really comes into play at high speeds.

Unless you were doing 125 mph plus at the time you noticed the wobble then I would say it probably isn't the missing rear wing.

Perhaps the dampers or its needs the geometry checking?

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

JR,

From my experience the rear wing does very little, even at very high speeds ...

The front spoiler lip however is essential, IMHO. If you remove it you will feel that the car has lost its planted quality and behaves like "no grip at the front" or like "too light at the front" and actually may begin to dance.

Cheers

Marcus

PS: What kind of roads do you have in France ? The distance between road surface and spoiler lip should be around 14cm ... stock ride height, of course.

Hello;

This forum is providency for french Esprit V8 owners...

To feel ok with my "design sensitivity" i have put of the rear wing and front low spoiler of my V8( this one was too close the road ).

But now i have the sensation that the car is "dancing" on the road. As my dampers are not very new; i don't know if they are guilty or if it's because i'm wing less.

Do you have some experiences of this topic ?

Bye

JR

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

JR,

From my experience the rear wing does very little, even at very high speeds ...

The front spoiler lip however is essential, IMHO. If you remove it you will feel that the car has lost its planted quality and behaves like "no grip at the front" or like "too light at the front" and actually may begin to dance.

Cheers

Marcus

PS: What kind of roads do you have in France ? The distance between road surface and spoiler lip should be around 14cm ... stock ride height, of course.

Thank you for help Marcus.

What you describe with "no grip at the front" is exactly what i feel with the car.

I'm clearly stupid because i have removed the spoiler lip one month ago..and now is destroyed.

In France you can find every kind of road surface, but the main problem is that autorities have put bumps from side to side of center town's roads in order to slow down speed of cars.

My spoiler lip didn't like those bumps

JR,

I know these "bumps" we also have a few of these in some areas, my Paula has two of them right in front of her Hotel in Austria ... but I have never seen one that is more than 5-7 cm in height. A stock/original V8 has 14cm space between the lip and the road surface.

So you should not have a problem with it ?

Are those bumps in France higher than 14cm ??? :thumbup:

Or is your car lowered ? :whistle:

I would suggest that you replace the spoiler lip and check your suspension and set your ride height to the correct specs.

Additionally I would avoid center town ... its not Esprit territory anyways.

Better take her on a long run along the Mediterranean coast ... maybe the coast road from Toulon to Nice. I know that she and you will like it much more than hopping around center town bumps .... ;)

Cheers

Marcus

Thank you for help Marcus.

What you describe with "no grip at the front" is exactly what i feel with the car.

I'm clearly stupid because i have removed the spoiler lip one month ago..and now is destroyed.

In France you can find every kind of road surface, but the main problem is that autorities have put bumps from side to side of center town's roads in order to slow down speed of cars.

My spoiler lip didn't like those bumps

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Hello Marcus;

My car in a stock/V8 engine with 14cm space between road and lip.But some french bumps are very hight and they touch and push the front spoiler lip.

I'm from Paris; so Mediterranean coast is far...

I will have to change dampers first

Bye

JR

Hi JR,

Here in Germany its vorbidden to install ostacles that are higher than original/stock registered cars ride height.

Maybe you can read German, here is a official judgement where the city had to pay compensation and also had to lower the obstacles. In this case the obstacle was "only" 11,5cm in height:

http://www.pagenstecher.de/topic115455,Ein...Fahrbahnsc.html

Maybe the law in France is the same and you can do something against these monster-bars which seem to be taller than 14cm ....

Cheers

Marcus

Hello Marcus;

My car in a stock/V8 engine with 14cm space between road and lip.But some french bumps are very hight and they touch and push the front spoiler lip.

I'm from Paris; so Mediterranean coast is far...

I will have to change dampers first

Bye

JR

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus