Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Steering lock / ignition switch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Steering lock / ignition switch

Go to solution Solved by Paul Coleman,

• 5 weeks later...
  • Solution
  • Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

In the end I managed to fix my old lock. The switch part had worn so much that the key didn't turn it. I filled the center of the switch with Jb weld that fitted it back to the lock to set. A spot of ATF in the column lock mech fixed the sticking issue. 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Tg86Msk

Edited by omegaman

4 hours ago, omegaman said:

In the end I managed to fix my old lock. The switch part had worn so much that the key didn't turn it. I filled the center of the switch with Jb weld that fitted it back to the lock to set. A spot of ATF in the column lock mech fixed the sticking issue. 

Hmmm... not quite sure what you've done there as there should be a metal adaptor that converts the 'D' shape of the lock barrel to the rectangular shape of the switch.

You have the really early type lock there which takes a switch that's no longer available anywhere. I would junk it and fit the later style lock which you can still get the switch for... https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ744.htm

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Ah I see. The haulage company removed the lock as the key wouldn't unlock the steering when it came into port in the UK. They must have dropped that metal adapter. 

It works fine now I have let the JB weld take the shape of the lock mech. 

I bought the later style switch from SJ a while back, I'll get the later type lock and keep it as a back up. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by omegaman

3 minutes ago, omegaman said:

I bought the later style switch from SJ a while back, I'll get the later type lock and keep it as a back up. Thanks for the info. 

The later style switch won't fit in the early style lock that you have so you're going to need a later style lock to go with it.

11 hours ago, omegaman said:

Oh..........Is the one on that Viva column a later type? 

Yes. I junked my original type lock because the switch started to play up.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1