Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Will Lotus supply engine history? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Will Lotus supply engine history?

Hi

I recently bought a 912 HC engine from a 1987 Excel.

The seller told me he bought the engine from a friend of his years ago for a kit car project, but never used it. He claimed the friend had the engine rebuilt by Lotus at Hethel, but 4000 miles later the Excel was written off in a crash, which is why the engine became available. Unfortunately the seller had no receipts or history to back any of this up.

Does anyone know if Lotus would be able to supply any info on the engine? If so, who would I contact?

Interestingly, the engine has '20 07 12' stamped on the block. Could this have been stamped by Lotus or someone else when the engine was re-built? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks very much.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be amazed if Lotus at Hethel rebuilt that engine in 2012. The service department at Hethel, which I used frequently in the early 2000's, shutdown I think in 2011 or thereabouts. 

Sounds rum to me but I could be wrong.

Justin

Thanks very much for the replies.

I meant could the stamp have been put there by whoever rebuilt the engine (assuming it was actually rebuilt).

Is stamping an engine with a date when it is rebuilt common practice? I've never heard of such a thing, but maybe some places do it?

Edited by Billy_Idle