Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Window & gear issues on matte black 2015 Evora S - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Window & gear issues on matte black 2015 Evora S

Hi all - I've had my factory matte black 2015 Evora S for a couple of months now, and couldn't be happier. I use it as a daily driver and have been pleasantly surprised at how practical it's been. The fact that it looks gorgeous and is a joy to drive is a given, and I'm frequently being stopped by curious admirers. 

I have though encountered a couple of issues that I wanted to share, and hopefully get some thoughts on. I've had a look through the forums and have seen some threads relating to both, but nothing that specifically answers/solves my queries, so fingers crossed this post will attract some enlightened feedback (thanks in advance!). 

The first issue, which I gather is fairly common, is the slight grinding sound I get - particularly in first and second gears - when either changing gears or beginning to accelerate. It's not horrific, but definitely noticeable. I've read some suggestions that it may be related to the fact that the gearbox was originally paired with a diesel engine (or am I making this up?!), and that it's nothing to worry about. I also read that Evoras do not have dual-mass flywheels (on top of the fact that the S has a lightened flywheel), which means you can get a little gear rattle/noise in low gears at very low RPMs.  Irrespective it'd be nice to know if there's anything that can be done about it, or whether it's just one of those quirks of a Lotus car. 

The second issue, which is definitely of concern (and has only just materialised), is the fact that my passenger window doesn't sit flush with the frame - there is a discernible gap between the top of the window and the frame, and it almost looks as though the glass of the window has been scratched too (see pic) - perhaps something is not aligned correctly? I've read some suggestions about how to 'reset' the windows by holding the open/close button all the way for several seconds, but this has made no difference.

I have a 1 year Lotus warranty that came with the car, so having the issues addressed shouldn't be a problem, but if either is fixable without schlepping over to my nearest dealership and potentially being without the car for several days, then that'd be preferable.

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully received. One pic of the car attached (just cos), and one of the faulty window.

Many thanks,

Matt

Lotus ceramic.jpg

Lotus window.jpg

My window sometimes does this I open and close it a couple of times usually holding it on the up for a couple of seconds and then down again this corrects it and window sits back. however I noticed it sometimes doesn’t reset it itself and a very tiny gap appears ?

my next service I ask my lotus guys to look at it but as you have the benefit of a warranty make use of it !

• Like 1

Push the switch to wind the window fully down and keep the switch held down until you feel/here a little click (note this can take up to 20 seconds)

Then pull the switch to wind the window fully up and keep it pulled up again until you hesr the click. 

If we don't get the little clicks then I believe the reset will not have been successful. Be patient. It does work. 

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

57 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

My window sometimes does this I open and close it a couple of times usually holding it on the up for a couple of seconds and then down again this corrects it and window sits back. however I noticed it sometimes doesn’t reset it itself and a very tiny gap appears ?

my next service I ask my lotus guys to look at it but as you have the benefit of a warranty make use of it !

Thanks - so you hold it stationary, or push it in the direction that it's supposed to be going?

38 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Push the switch to wind the window fully down and keep the switch held down until you feel/here a little click (note this can take up to 20 seconds)

Then pull the switch to wind the window fully up and keep it pulled up again until you hesr the click. 

If we don't get the little clicks then I believe the reset will not have been successful. Be patient. It does work. 

Thanks, I tried that process but probably not for as long as 20secs, so I'll give it a other go

Re the window issue, a dealer speaking of the reset procedure also said that having a fully charged battery is important for the reset.  That was about a lithium battery car though. I don't think an S has a lithium one as standard but the same may apply.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mmhexeter said:

Thanks, I tried that process but probably not for as long as 20secs, so I'll give it a other go

It's not the time, wait for the "click" - no "click" then keep it pressed before going to the other direction. Some people think the reset is just up/down/up/down but it's all about the clicky.....  :)

Only Evora's with a lithium as standard from the factory, that I am aware of, was the 410's and the 430's.  No S1 cars had it.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Regarding the transmission rattle you’ve heard (hopefully it’s more of a rattle than a ‘grinding’ noise?) this is normal on Evoras - particularly in low gears at low revs. As you read about - it’s supposedly due to some combination of diesel gearbox and different orientation compared to what the Camry originally had. One of those things that would have been engineered out in a large volume car, but not in a Lotus! 

AFAIK, it is what it is and you can’t ‘fix’ it - some cars have it more prominently than others though. (My S does it too, but I only really notice it around town).

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated. So, I've made peace with the fact that the transmission rattle is just a Lotus quirk, but unfortunately the window issue hasn't corrected itself despite the efforts at a reset, so it'll be a trip to my nearest Lotus dealership to have this corrected (thankfully under warranty).