Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT3 Delco-Moraine deletion - shafted! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GT3 Delco-Moraine deletion - shafted!

• Gold FFM

I'm mid-job on @shaunw's lovely GT3, and encountered a very nasty anomaly today.  On every Esprit I've ever seen, the pedal pivot shaft is secured with a split pin at its outboard end; this is accessible through the fuse box aperture.  I encountered no pin in this position yesterday, so investigated the other, inboard, end of the shaft.  Impossible to see, but I could just get a fingertip on what felt like the top of a pin.  Retired indoors at this point, thoroughly depressed as I though i might have to remove the pedal box (aaaaagh).  Alcohol helped.

Refreshed, I attacked it repeatedly today with a pick, completely blind, until it felt like the pick had engaged with the loop of the pin.  Then I clouted the pick hard with the heel of my hand and the pin exited at speed.  Won't find that again.  This involved the Lotus Position and 2 arms.  Awkward and painful.

WhatsAppImage2023-04-18at19_16_19.jpg.0132c76cbe881553f4947d5fda61d0f8.jpg

Pushed shaft inboard and removed pedal for drilling, all good.  I'd assumed the shaft had a hole at each end.  Wrong!  Replaced pedal and drifted shaft outboard so I could see it through the fusebox aperture, rotated shaft, no feckin hole.  I can only assume that some blerk in the factory in 1996/97 inserted the shaft in the wrong orientation, couldn't be arsed to change it, and just pinned it inboard because he could.

WhatsAppImage2023-04-18at19_02_22f.jpg.4cc99e825b1b915fa5b4b30276d9d72c.jpg

I really didn't fancy the thought of trying to remove the shaft, so I drifted it outboard a little more, and managed, eventually, to drill an appropriate hole in the outboard end.  All in place now, perfect.

WhatsAppImage2023-04-18at19_02_22c.jpg.540df9f4f2bfeb402bf99442d5296e12.jpg

WhatsAppImage2023-04-18at19_02_22b.jpg.215ce375eddd7460cbfdc4fca4ddde79.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a pedal shaft with an inboard pin?

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 19.02.23.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 19.02.23a.jpg

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Yeah thats out of scope - that was done at crew rate - hold on to your wallet😁

IIRC on cars where the steering wheel is on the side where god and Collin intended, I think the pin is on the in board side....its a beotch, I got my finger caught in the pivot hole, was stuck in there for 20 mins in Lotus position....I thought we were going to have to call the fire men to take the car apart with a saw!!!

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

RHD pin location standard is outboard and accessible via the fusebox aperture.  Believe me, I know.  This is the first inboard I've ever seen.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.