Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ICE installation advice - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ICE installation advice

Go to solution Solved by auRouge,

Hi,

Just bought an Exige, love it.. it’s perfect but I just need to make it a bit more 2023..

Met a nice chap in 250 Cup at Goodwood on my first adventure and he showed me his setup:-

http://www.joyingauto.eu/single-din-car-radio/6-2-inch-single-din.html

Joying 6.2 with Apple CarPlay - Waze NAV + Speed Cameras

Its discrete, looks OEM, isn’t expensive and doesn’t interfere with anything so bought one straight away on eBay. Thank you Elise owner 👊🏽

It’s arrived in a sealed Joying box. Quality looks superb (cat is impressed!) I’m technically minded so will fit it myself but know many on here will have done something like this before.. 

This should be really straightforward but I’m not sure about if I should isolate the lithium battery first?

All tips and advice welcomed. 
Cheers,

A😉

BCE5F341-FEB0-43C7-B75C-D5C46E4F130B.jpeg

• Like 2

With regards to isolating the battery, I would say it depends.

If you need to cut and join wires, then you might want to disconnect the battery. If it's just a case of plugging in an adapter harness then I probably wouldn't bother personally.

• Like 2

@auRouge I have had the Joying 6.2” head unit for just over a year now. The installation was straight forward with the supplied wire loom adaptor, so plug and play with no wire splicing needed, but I did disconnect the battery just to be on the safe side. So hopefully your installation should go well with no issues.

JoyingHeadUnit.jpg.02c8d147964f2631bb46ef488a78162f.jpg

The good and not so good points I have found with the unit are.

The touchscreen is very responsive and the sound quality is good enough for a noisy Exige cockpit. It fits nicely into the lotus dashboard, but I have taken it a little further with a homemade centre dash and functional air vents. Generally it is a good head unit for the price you pay for.

The disappointing bits which may only be down to my unit are the dedicated side volume buttons don’t always respond when you press them. @auRouge you won't have this issue as you have the volume dial control. And the built in GPS receiver is flaky and takes a long time to lock onto any satellites. Joying have restricted the Bluetooth software pairing to only certain mobile phones and Joying hardware.

To get around these issues I have installed a small remote for the volume and music selection, and use the Bluetooth Finder Scanner Pair app which now detects and pairs with my OBDLink MX+ dongle and Torque Pro app. As for the GPS issue a friend has a mobile Bluetooth Garmin GPS receiver which I will try out. Also, using Android Auto may get around this but I have not tried this yet.

Hope all goes well and I will be interesting to see if you have any issues with the GPS receiver.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Mark.A, that’s super helpful.

Will keep you updated and post on here. Maybe I’ll try and take a few photos as I go and make some crib notes for others. 

AIM dash on yours looks great 👍🏽 

13 hours ago, Paul_D said:

With regards to isolating the battery, I would say it depends.

If you need to cut and join wires, then you might want to disconnect the battery. If it's just a case of plugging in an adapter harness then I probably wouldn't bother personally.

Perfect advice, that makes sense. Thanks 

• Solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks to both

@Mark.A @Paul_D

Success!  As described it’s really straightforward with amazing results. My Exige is now so much better and more comfortable on trips like yesterday up to Donington from SW London.

5 Step Basic Instructions:-

1) Use your existing stereo tools to remove the plastic trim and then slide out stereo being careful not to damage your dashboard! 

IMG_3075.jpeg

IMG_3077.jpeg

2) Pull out and unclip main loom and radio arial 

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3079.jpeg

3) Undo the clam - Top and bottom behind steering wheel to locate the microphone 🎙️.. This is definitely worth the hassle, gamechanger! I can have telephone calls at 70mph on the motorway!! Feed wire through and find the back of the stereo, this was the most difficult part of the installation. But I assure you with a torch you’ll find a small crack you can see and feed the wire through. You will scratch your skin.. unavoidable, my hand looked like my black cat had attacked me! 

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

There are only 4 screws to remove your clam, it’s comes off quite easily and goes back just as easily. The plastic quality is actually very good!

4) Connect new Euro spec loom, supplied GPS arial and the Radio arial.

IMG_3093.jpeg

I didn’t bother using the 4G because space is tight in there and didn’t want to upset the dashboard. Your phone will do everything so I don’t think it’s worth the risk..

5) Final step. Attach the new Joying Screen to the din. I used some black tape to cover the silver bracket immediately behind the screen because you want a snug fit and won’t be able to push the din all the way in. The tape really helped aesthetically and physically. No rattles! It turns on with the ignition. Mine was in German so use Google Translate to work out how to make US English (only option) and then go onto your phones settings (in my case CarPlay) and it’ll magically work!! Love it👌🏽

• Like 1

Done.

First impressions after a long journey and trackday yesterday..

The screen is excellent. It’s Wireless (better than my 2022 GR where I have to connect a USB!) and connects in under 10 seconds after ignition on. The built in amp 100% better than the crappy Clarion supplied by Lotus! I listened to Podcasts with ease and could make and received calls. Getting the unit with the knob is advised. It all just works and imo makes the car better. I now have exactly the same features as an Emira! Highly recommend it 👌🏽

IMG_3095.jpeg

IMG_3100.jpeg

• Like 1

On 24/04/2023 at 19:36, Mark.A said:

Joying have restricted the Bluetooth software pairing to only certain mobile phones and Joying hardware.

Is this related to using Torque App? 

Hi @auRouge, looks good. My unit could see the OBDII dongle but not pair with it. It does say on the Joying website that the Bluetooth software only pairs with limited hardware. Give the free limited Torque app a got, it may work?

• Like 1

Joying sale a cheap OBD2 Dongle. I purchased one when I bought the head unit, but have not used it. Will see if it works with the Torque Pro app and get back to you. But I can't do this until Wednesday as no at home.