Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No Heat - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

No Heat

It's getting a little cooler around here and I don't know if this has been a problem from the time I purchased my Esprit back in July, because I never tried the heat during the summer, but I don't seam to have any heat. The blower motor works fine and so does the Air but no heat. The engine heats up and it's running great. No code to tell me of an error, but I do hear a noise under the passenger side dash that sounds like someone lightly breathing. I never noticed this noise before and am not sure if this is related or if it has always been there. Any quick things I should look at?

Scott

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you getting any heat out of anywhere? Is it going to the screen instead of your feet? If it's a new shape dash there is an electric motor alters the distribution flap which can fail. If it's the classic dash the same thing is caused by a vacuum leak.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Well I went out for a drive last night. I wasn't going to just let it heat up without having a little bit fun. Anyway, the defroster works, I get heat from there but the vents are cold. It also always blows a little from the vents even when I have the defroster selected.

It's the new dash. So where is this selector motor? Will I need to remove the dash to get at it?

Scott

Well I went out for a drive last night. I wasn't going to just let it heat up without having a little bit fun. Anyway, the defroster works, I get heat from there but the vents are cold. It also always blows a little from the vents even when I have the defroster selected.

It's the new dash. So where is this selector motor? Will I need to remove the dash to get at it?

Scott

I believe that is normal. Heat is never directed to the upper vents either side or center. These vents are for ambient or A/C only. Heat is available only at the footwell vents and the windshield. The manual is pretty clear about this also. So that is the best kind of problem, one that is "normal" and does not require that you get into the Lotus position. Of course if there is no heat in the footwell vents then you will be doing the dead bug crawl under the dash!

Edited by outtamyway

I know this problem is fixed, but I thought I'd add one final comment in case anyone searches this thread in the future.

when the heaters have not been used for a long time, you sometimes get 'crud' building up in the heater matrix.. this happens especially if someone has mixed different types of anti freeze together!

In this case you need to 'back flush' the heater matrix. you take off both pipes from under the car, then run a hosepipe through the matrix in the reverse direction to normal water flow. (It's been years since I did it so I can't remember which way).

On my car, I got a load of brown mud slowly ooze out, followed by a jet of fresh water.

I've never had any heating problems since, and I backflushed it about 7 years ago!

I would place my vote with Glyn, I had the same with my 4 pot, No heat - then flushed out the heater matrix, now no problems - nice and warm

on the G car - if you flush it the wrong way round with the hose pipe, the water shut offf valve will jam shut with the revesre pressure - but easy fixed just flush it the other way round

• 3 weeks later...

On the v8 the there are small plastic vacuum pipes that go to a solenoid under the gearlevel consul that then tead to another soleniod by the passenger foot well one goes to the eye level cool blowers and the other goes to the heating vents from memory.

If one of these is loose or broken the vacuum will not work and will not allow the position be be changed.

has anybody been kicking about under the footwell. They are easy to knock out of the rubber sockets.