Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
tipping - Page 3 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

tipping

esprit350

Where I live in the USA tips are handled differently than in the UK.

The servers in restaurants make a paltry sum, some only several dollars an hour. Tips are considered part of income. While the server may get 15-20% it can get fairly brutal if the cooks screws up an order, some other server intentionally or accidentally takes your order, etc as most including myself will take it out on the servers tips. The income tax people will assess the server 10% of whatever that particular server has booked in sales taking into account a possiblity that that a server might get stiffed (low or no tip) on the tip. In some establishments there is a tipping heiarchy where the server must take a portion of her tip and award the seating hostess, bar tenders, bus help, and cooks to insure qucik turn around of tables, food, and beverage orders. In other estabishments all tips are put into the pot and divided to be part of everyones pay check. An excellent server in a nice restaurant is capable of making a fair living if everything goes right. Also since tips in the USA are considered reportable income the servers can then use this taxable information as proof of income to obtain loans to aquire loans for large ticket items such as homes, cars, boats, etc. There is great incentive for everyone in our restaurants to provide excellent service and be pleasant about it beacuse the tip amount is based on entire dining experience from the moment one enters the door no matter if it is in a lower end cafe or higher class restaurant. Take out and buffet style restaurants are not normally tipped. But home delivery and hotel room service are usually tipped.

Just about all establishments use manditory tip charges for large groups and banquets but they are up front about it. In both manditory and voluntary tip situations when service goes terribly wrong a quick talk with the server or supervisor will result in what we refer to as comping either part or all of the charges. In such cases I will still award a tip of escalting value depending on the level of satisfaction of the reduction of charges and the sincerity of the wait staff. I had a free bottle of wine, round of drinks, or appetizers for a delay in our order which I consider acceptable in lieu of a reduction in our meal tab. I suppose our servers get paid a bit different than in the UK, it seems a lot of people in the UK make a bit more than us in the USA in terms of pay even though you end up paying more in taxes. Seems to even out in the end.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could use pounds, but then you would need to multiply the tip by 52% in dollars then convert to pounds. Sorry let me simplify. As X approaches infinity, the f of x......

Cheers

Clay

Let me simplify:

Percentage is unitless so it does not matter what currency you work the percentage out in, it could be

Edited by snuffy

Right then, said Fred.

I would never tip anyone on that list, all get paid to do a job...anyway I would have to have a pool before I could tip the pool guy

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

...anyway I would have to have a pool before I could tip the pool guy

Housewives are the ones that usually hire and tip the pool boy :)

Edited by CNH

Thought i would bring this up again.

I went to the local tip today as i've been decorating my bathroom and guess what there is a tip box near next to every skip. Its amazing the lengths people go to to get a few quid off others. The council workers, who usually just grunt and swear at you, were so polite it was uncomfortable. Would you like a hand with that sir, yes sir this is the right bin sir, merry christmas sir. Did i tip them? Did i feck.

Housewives are the ones that usually hire and tip the pool boy :)

Now, "Technically" speaking, it is quite the opposite. The pool boy "tips" the housewife. :santa:

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Pool boy joke.

A pool boy shows up at a new customers house. The lady of the house answers the door and before the pool boy gets out a word, the lady takes the boy upstairs and has sex with him. The boy staggers down the stairs and the lady hands him a $1. The boy re-gains his compossure and ask the lady why she did that. She says, "when my husband left for work this morning I said, should I tip the pool boy? He said F*ck him, give him a $1."

Cheers

Clay

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

B)

I agree with Mr Pink.