Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Supporting an Esprit? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Supporting an Esprit?

Hello all, I will soon be undertaking the project of fitting new springs and dampers (Lotus Damper Programme) to my fathers 1988 Esprit Turbo.

I have worked on various cars in the past but never one with a separate body/chassis. And obviously I don't want to damage the vehicle (or myself!).

I have read this very informative page, however I won't be able to put the axel stands under the suspension as that will all be coming off to be cleaned/sandblasted/coated/replaced etc

Is it possible to support the vehicle by placing the axel stands (ones with a flat top and rubber pad) under the chassis jacking points? Although I'm not sure how I'll be able to replace the jack for the axel stand once I've got it up in the air. Is there anywhere centrally on the front of the chassis where you can jack it up?, so I can then place two axel stands either side.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best wishes & happy new year! :unworthy:

Neil

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you could, but that wouldn't be my preference.

I'd put the stands under the metal subframe aka chassis.

You've got 2 good points at the front near the bottom wishbone pivot bolts, and for the rear (I suggest doing front separate to rear for stability) you could go for the chassis loop, or the lower rear wishbone at the mount point, but not certain if you're going to do the bushes at the same time. It's a very worthwhile job, and if the old bushes are either worn or made of the later rubber (it wasn't the same as the car was originally designed to have) the new poly bushes are a worthwhile investment.

Andy

All Esprits can be jacked or supported by using the bodyshell. On an '88 you'll have metal jacking points at each corner (just behind the fron wheels and just infront of the rear wheels) stick your head under the car and locate them.

It's probably worth spreading the weight with some small pieces of wood (or even squares of mdf) rather than putting the axle stands directly onto the jacking points.

i have just changed the springs and dampers ( protech ) from sj sports cars i used the lew guide to support the car

the verdict on my new shockers is still on hold ,ok around town etc,country roads,but on the motorway it feels very very floaty?

i have the adjusters set on max hardest setting

i have just changed the springs and dampers ( protech ) from sj sports cars i used the lew guide to support the car

the verdict on my new shockers is still on hold ,ok around town etc,country roads,but on the motorway it feels very very floaty?

I had the same problem when I first installed the new dampers on my car...if they feel floaty and they are on the hardest setting then they are probably a bad set and will need to be replaced. That is what I ended up having to do (the comapny replaced mine free of charge since they were new) and the difference was night and day.

Jason

Edited by jfitz981

I am currently working with my 88 Esprit in the air. it has been on stands for about a month now with no issues!

I use telephone directories in stacks of 2 and 4 high, taped together as blocks. This gives a huge footprint under the jackpoint as well as something soft that will not damage the undercarriage of my baby.

My previous mechanic in Melbourne says that he has always done this and has never had a single issue.

Goodluck with our suspension and let me know how it goes.

Regards

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

It will do - the car needs to have some sort of damping movement in order to drive well at all !

If you crank them right up, in the corners the car cant weight shift and the camber will be reluctant to change affecting grip.

At speed the suspension wont have time to react to bumps in the road it normally would ride, so it litterally jumps over the bumps.

Stiffer suspension gives you very quick response (ie the turn in is extremely precise and quick becasue it has no wallow to take up, good for correcting mistakes on track days) but it seriosuly reduces your grip on anything but the perfect flatest of roads...you'll also wear your tyres out quickly B)

The idea on adjustables is to get the balance between responsivness (front vs rear) and ride quality for different surfaces (usually track vs road) - try to mimic the Lotus settings, they're not world leaders in ride and handling for nothing :yes

Sorry - wee bit off topic there.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk