Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alternator - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alternator

talon

OK, I have a new alternator in had for my car. Is there anything I need to look out for while changing it out? Any gotchas with the belt? How long should I plan on it taking? From what I can see, it doesn't look to be a big job.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed mine a while back, pretty easy to get out but getting it back in takes sometime!!! You've just got to get the angle right.. It wasn't too bad for me as we had a pit to do it in, wouldn't like to do it without one.

Time to take out approx 15 mins... time to get back in about 1 hour.. you may get it back in first time but it does take a bit of messing..

My experience with most esprit work is that it normally takes atleast twice if not three times longer than you first expect.

Cheers

LJ

Edited by Tentenths
Removed quote

Hi ,

I did mine on the driveway with it as high on axle stands as I could. Get plenty of light in there from above and below.I unclipped and moved a couple of pipes from memory and then it was just like removing any other alternator.Use a socket on the belt tensioner to just twist it and release it enough to get the belt off the pully.A 1/2" drive will get in there.

The only tricky bit is getting it out and then back in through the chassis from below.It will go though,and I have certainly changed harder ones.If you have a set of tools and know what they are of sorts its a mornings work.If I did another one 2 hours,if I had a ramp 1 hour !Its that easy.

Go for it !!

Rich

GRRRRRRRRR.....

Well, I just spent the past 3 hours working on getting the old alternator out - to no avail. I managed to get the electrics disconnected from it and the lower mounting bolt ready to come out, but I could not get the belt off. The idler pulley will not move. I tried the 1/2 inch ratchet from both the bottom of the car and the op but can't get it to budge. From what I can see it needs to go counter clockwise to release the belt (viewed from the front of the engine). I tried both ways and it won't move. Any advice? Additionally, what is the trick to getting to the back nut on the upper mounting bolt? I can't even find it by hand.

On top of all that BS, I now suspect that the alternator may not be the problem. When I pulled the main power feed off the back of it, I noticed a 1/2 inch rip in the sheathing, expsosing all the cable to the elements. I wonder if it was just shorting... Either way, I'm going to replace the alternator and repair the cable.

I'm am now completely frustrated. I've changed many an alternator in my life and am extremely mechanically inclined. I've rebuilt engines from scratch, so why the hell can't I get this thing off!!!!!!

[/rant]

I'll probably find that a fresh start tomorrow will make it much simpler.

• Gold FFM
GRRRRRRRRR.....

.. so why the hell can't I get this thing off!!!!!!

it's a L.O.T.U.S. :D

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Russ,

I kinda feel guilty for this,sorry.!

It isnt easy but it can be done,and I am sure you are more than up to it.

The pully I am referring to on the front of the engine is the tensioner that holds the main grooved belt taught.I don't know if you have any Esprit books with the front of the engine shown on it but you will see what I mean.(you probably know all this anyway). I used a mac 1/2"" ratchet(about 6"long with a red plastic handle and the appropriate sized socket on the bolt in the pully wheel. By turning the rathet it exerts enough leverage to release thhe tension so you can get the belt off.(by pulling the tensioner down away fron the belt from memory ,but check this.)

You need plenty of light but if you lay under the car looking up you can see it.

As for the second bolt on the alternator again I had lights from above and below but it is almost a by feel exercise,but it can be done you will need a good socket set though!

Don't give up I wouldn't have responded to the post if it was impossible but I can appreciate your frustration. Wait till you have it off,you then have to wiggle it about for a while before it drops out,but it will.

Good luck :D

Rich

Russ,

I have just checked and get the ratchet on the tensioner pully bolt and turn anti clockwise and this will pull the tensioner away from the belt.

Remember it will spring back once you relese the belt.

Rich

• Gold FFM
....I used a mac 1/2"" ratchet(about 6"long with a red plastic handle and the appropriate sized socket on the bolt in the pully wheel. By turning the rathet it exerts enough leverage to release thhe tension so you can get the belt off.(by pulling the tensioner down away fron the belt from memory ,but check this.)

....Rich

You can also use the 1/2" square profile hole in the tensioner arm, so no socket for the pulley bolt is needed in that way. And you minimize the risc of overtight the bolt/bearing for the tensioner pulley... .

As i still have my "overhauled" alternator , i can agree to MGFcrasher. It is sometimes a pain to get old bolts of, but it can be done DEFINITELY

Edited by G

I didn't make it out to the garage :)

The weather is working against me now - we actually got snow last night! It's supposed to warm up a bit this afternoon, so I may take a crack it then. If not, it's going to be back to normal tomorrow (55 degrees F).

Edited by talon

good advice. I'm planning on heading out in a few minutes to work on it. I've had the most success with the tensioner from the top, i.e. I could actually get the 1/2 inch breaker in the hole. I'm just hoping I can do this without the whole belt coming off the pulley's :lol:

I should have an update shortly

Well, there's progress! Got the belt off, although unfortunately it's all the way off. I think I'l be able to fish it back onto all the belts without too much trouble though. I managed to break the top bolt loose, but can't find my 17 millimeter wrench for the nut. I'll pick up another one this evening and that should enable me to get the bloody alternator out. Hopefully I'm back on the road tomorrow or Sunday.

• Gold FFM

as long as you have noticed the right way round...

The workshop book shows it in front view, but the easiest access is from above :lol:

(must be better for our friends from the south side :D )

Edited by G

• Gold FFM

so the mystical question is: what does a bank manager on this day, or better "what is the Bank Holiday made for?" Jump into the "pool of money" ?? :welcome:

Edited by G

• Gold FFM

yes funny, but my question was more serious: What does "bank holiday" mean ??

Is it the case that every business group gets her own holidays !?

No.

Here in the States, it is Martin Luther King Day and most govornment offices and banks are closed in observance. It's kind of nice; my girlfriend had to go to work and I have the place to myself today :P

• Gold FFM

ahhh, now i understand the background. :P It's the fear of crime and demonstrations, as it is still a day of political history ! :lol:

No, not really. It's more of an observance and sign of respect on the anniversary of his murder. Most business's are open. Over here, banks and the govornment will hsut down for just about any holiday :P