Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Misfiring Turbo engine - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Misfiring Turbo engine

Brandt

Hi Brandt

Just a thought, but are you sure that the carbs are for a turbo. The turbo carbs have a ball bearing that shuts off the pump curcit when on boost, also check the pressurisation of the fuel bowl, if there is a leak and the bowls are not pressurising uner boost this could lead to a lean condition. However i would not have thought that it would go rich at the top end if this was the case. Worth a check.

Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's time you bought The Book..."How to build and power tune Weber and Dellorto DCOE,DCO/SP and DHLA Carburetters" in the SpeedPro series, written by Des Hammill. It was this book that gave me the clue about the jets being reduced in size..as the jet sizes listed showed that the Lotus standard jets were right at the small end of those suitable for Esprit sized engines...so I thought it's a marginal deal, then, and any obstruction and you'll be way weak. Added to which, it's a good read with bags of information and some splendid colour illustrations which makes everything clear. Cost me twenty quid and worth every penny!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Sorry to hear about your problems Brandt. Will email you later today. What have you heard about the 87 HC any more news? Roger.

Hi All

John, I've got Des Hamilton's book. Only wish it explained the actual operation of the carbs better, but at least the Lotus manual does that. I have found a nice link (http://www.sideways-technologies.co.uk/for...l?m-1201970113/) describing how to test the actual fuel level in the carbs, and that I will do tomorrow. I know it something small somewhere; but WHERE??

Roger, welcome back to Africa!

Kind regards

Brandt

An interesting link, Brandt...my feeling about your problem is still the same..you have a restriction somewhere in the slow running system; either the jets are varnished up...use an old guitar string you've measured with a micrometer or digital vernier caliper as a gauge tool/reamer until you have the correct sized hole through the jet...or it could be the progression holes behind the butterfly which have got blocked...they were on mine; when I found that I thought I'd found the problem, but no...it took clearing the jets to the correct diameter to fix things. At least, once you've got it right, you'll know as much as anybody else about Dell'Ortos!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein