Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Inside Rearview Mirror Replacement - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Inside Rearview Mirror Replacement

My floopy, shakey, wobbly inside mirror is driving me crazy. I have never driven a car with such a poor design for a rearview mirror. Has anyone tried another OEM's mirror that bonds to the windscreen, or is that a bad idea? I searched the forum and saw someone used a Peugeot mirror instead, but those aren't exactly on every street corner here in the US. Any Ideas ????

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original mirror is fine but to get a better vieuw you could ad a piece of wood of about 2 cm thick to lower it a bit

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

To stop the vibration with my mirror I just added a 20 cent grommet - worked marvels.

10943-1201909235_thumb.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

If the arm of the mirror isn't pressed against the windscreen it wobble and vibrate like a wobbly vibraty thing.

The body of the mirror is mounted onto the trim panel (using small nylock nuts on the reverse of the two black philips screws - don't just try to tighten these) rather than the car itself, so some movement can be expected over time.

The trim panel is held to the car by four screws (look behind the sunvisors) and there is a surprising amount of adjustment available (for positioning of the mirror) by either tightening or loosening these screws.

With luck you won't have to resort to Simon's grommet modification to stop the wobble!

It is fixable with a little time and patience, when the cars left the factory they didn't have wobbly mirrors....

The stem triangulates with the glass, this is, or should be a small rubber cone, on the leading edge of the stem, that has to be in contact with the screen, with a small amount of pressure, then no problem.

Only problem is actually seeing anything out of the back anyway, must be the only car in the world with three layers of glass to see through, tell me about cleaning them, I just did it today!

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's the Elan (M100) that had the really cool rear view mirror with illumination on.

I had a wobbly mirror. I just bought a new assembly and it's been totally fine since.

It does need to sit against the screen though so not to wobble.