Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Thinking out loud..... - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Thinking out loud.....

ouch!!!

Very sexy but way out of my league for now!!!!

Although should be completing on my flat sale next week, then I could go out and buy an S350..... hhmmmmm

Very tempting isnt it!!! Sure my parents wouldnt agree when I said I'd spent all my money and was moving back in perminently :blink:

Chunky Lover

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look fantastic, i love the fact that the esprit wheels are dished in so much at the rear due to the inboard brakes :blink: its just a pitty that our wheel sizes are so unique we have to spend mad money to buy splitrims or spend mad money on hub centric spacers! from looking at that picture i want my baby lowered asap :blink:

regards dan :(

A

Looks really great !!!! Please give us more photos of Your rear diffuser please !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.. yours looks pretty nice as well!

The diffuser you see is more of an enhanced vent for the engine bay, incorporated into the new bumber Ive made up. It basically opens up the small OE under-bumber openings. I am busy making up a CF diffuser for under-car airflow management.

Ill have to take some more shots of the bumber to post. J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Installing a UN1 in a G-car is doable, retaining the G-car rear uprights and shift linkage, with some modifications. Attached is a photo of the installation I did in 1994 on my '87. However on my car I chose to make caliper brackets and move the brakes outboard. I also converted to an electronic speedometer, using a VDO unit with the Smiths face. The halfshafts were early 70's 911 with the Lotus CV joints.

Jan and I have shared notes on this at length. Where he's breaking new ground is in the retention of the inboard discs, which means shorter half shafts. If you go outboard you'll need:

Gearbox with Belhousing

DeLorean output flanges

Rear cast mounts for transmission

Renault clutch, clutch fork w/pivot, and release bearing

Renault M/C push rod or shorten SM rod.

Stevens trunk fill panel.

circa 1973 911 axle shafts from breaker - measure several to get the right length

The modifications will include moving the shift lever from left to right, if the box is not already configured that way.

Drilling the flywheel for the Renault clutch.

Making a shift arm.

Fabricating a mount and inverting the cross-shift bell crank.

Fabrication of a new cross shift cable stay

Fabrication of a new, longer extension rod for the cross shift cable.

Fabrication of exhaust mounts.

Fabricating a muffler which will clear the gearbox (mine was 24" long, shaped like a "dumbell" - 2 end cans, 3" ID x 6" OD x 6" long and one 12 x 4.5" OD center section welded together. The packing used was OEM HCI.

Modification of the reverse lockout gate at the shifter (filing the lock out plate).

Lots of little stuff, but actually not that complicated if you have a shop with a good fabricator a TiG and a mill.

I'll defer details on the O/B brake conversion, as I don't have any photos handy. If I recall, there was about 16 hours of shop time involved in machine and fabrication work.

renaultbox8uf.jpg

Superb stuff - VERY useful indeed - thanks for that :blink:

There is ONE cosmetic mod you've forgotten for you pic (I've done it on mine and after all this time I still love it!)

OutsidetheBoxBarsmall.jpg

Can you tell what it is(n't) yet?! :blink:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Superb stuff - VERY useful indeed - thanks for that :blink:

There is ONE cosmetic mod you've forgotten for you pic (I've done it on mine and after all this time I still love it!)

Can you tell what it is(n't) yet?! :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what it is... :( What do you do if your battery goes dead :(

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Hahahaha!

I have no worries whatsoever :blink:

We pre-HC owners are also the proud owners of a lockable boot!

So in any event there is a get out clause... Door poppers won't work due to:

1) Battery death - The battery is in the key-locked boot. You'll need a jump or replacement to get moving anyway so this poses no problem. The moment you attach jumpers or a new battery, it will work again.

2) Remote Entry System death! Concealed in my boot somwhere is a small button that's linked to the driver's side window motor. Press that and it lowers the window enabling me to simply reach in and open the door :blink:

When picking people up, there is a button in the cabin under the dash by my left knee that will pop the passenger door without having to climb across the centre tunnel or fiddle around with the fob (which as Im IN the car is sitting in the ignition - wouldn't want to pop the wrong door when on a busy road! :( )

It's all SOOOO worth it - to this day I still get a sad, schoolboy, kick out of popping the doors open by remote! Freaking out passers by or people peering into the window by popping it open is too much fun! Also amusing seeing would-be-passengers who reach for a door handle and then look hugely confused! :(

It will NEVER get old! :(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

OutsidetheBoxBarsmall.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
How about these bad boys :mellow:

dm.jpg

This is one of he presents I'm planning to buy myself as soon as poss!

Oh and so as not to be mean here is their website Splitrims.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Troy

I really like these wheels. Will spacers have to be made to allow the wheels to work? What size are you planning on buying?

Thanks!

louis

'83 Turbo

Louis - I gots myself a set of them thar wheels!

The Compomotive version. They go straight onto the standard Turbo Esprit (They're not the 4 stud Essex ones)

I *may* be tempted to part with them!! (not sure tho so it would have to be an offer I couldn't refuse! heh )

Louis - I gots myself a set of them thar wheels!

The Compomotive version. They go straight onto the standard Turbo Esprit (They're not the 4 stud Essex ones)

I *may* be tempted to part with them!! (not sure tho so it would have to be an offer I couldn't refuse! heh )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Doc

You got of picture of them thar wheels on your car? Would like to see what they look like.

Thanks!

louis

'83 Turbo