Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Handbrake - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Handbrake

I have noticed that the handbrake sticks a bit if the car is left with it on for several days.

Got the service manual out for a read last night and...... you have to buy another section that covers the brakes.:)

I assume there is just a cable operated lever on each caliper or something similar?

Any pointers in what to suspect :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Brembo Standard and AP-Racing have all this Renault Laguna -type rear caliper, right?! So it's a cable operated handbrake.

Return distance is something with 74mm (?) from lever/wire contactpoint to cable rest at the caliper.

Best thing is to remove the pads. pull your handbrake a bit , and look that both cables move. Than (with a bit pressure) turn your calipper pots in . It's something with "twist and push".

With the brake pats in -step on the brake pedal and look that both brakes do what they should do.

The freeplay(return distance) for handbrake cables can be adjusted in the body side section -push drivers seat forward and lift up the carped... .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

It's best not to leave the E-brake on for any length of time as the pads usually have some amout of metal in them

and will rust and stick to the caliper. I always simply leave it gear if the car will be sitting for more than a few hours. This is especially true

if the car has been in rain or in a moist humid climate.

the pads usually have some amout of metal in them and will rust and stick to the caliper.

Aha!

I looked at the rear discs this morning and sure enough there are pad shaped areas of rust on the surface.

I think you may well have the answer.

Handbrake is now off while in the garage. Some strategically placed bits of wood plank will hold it instead.

• Gold FFM

but pull your handbrake , from time o time -otherwise it gets seized in the cables and internal mechanic.

Some people who have used the "in gear"-method in other cars to often, have forgoten that there is a handbrake- bad thing on 'MOT' [T

• Gold FFM
Dont worry G