Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 Expansion Tank coolant level - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Expansion Tank coolant level

Guest Chelsea Martyn

Guest Chelsea Martyn

In the book it says to use the moulded level on the expansion tank to check for the corect coolant level.

When you remove the cap there is a set of three red prongs that go a certain distance into the expansion tank, are these the visual check levels?

e.g should the coolant level on a cold engine just be touching these, or are they for no use whatsoever?

I ask because owners on LEF know to great accuracy how much coolant they lose per week, and wondered if these prongs were the guideline?

Also, due to the heat generated by the V8, is a small amount of evaporation normal?

Thanks

Martyn

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My coolant level seems to be at the bottom of the red prongs when cold.

I don't seem to have any evaporation, when I had the liner problem with my old V8 I lost a pint of water roughly every 200 miles.

Regards

Fred

I've had my 1998 V8-GT exactly a week and had this very problem today. The coolant warning light came on and sure enough, once it was all cooled down and I removed the cap, the header tank was completely empty. The outside of the tank was wet with warm coolant. I thought it had ruptured at the joint. However, I noticed the gasket in the cap was split - thats where it was leaking from. And yes, the red plastic prongs are level with the joint so I refilled to that level, fixed the cap and went for a blast. All seems well.

I've had my 1998 V8-GT exactly a week and had this very problem today. The coolant warning light came on and sure enough, once it was all cooled down and I removed the cap, the header tank was completely empty. The outside of the tank was wet with warm coolant. I thought it had ruptured at the joint. However, I noticed the gasket in the cap was split - thats where it was leaking from. And yes, the red plastic prongs are level with the joint so I refilled to that level, fixed the cap and went for a blast. All seems well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

I use the red prongs to gauge level (Bloody tricky).

As far as I know, you shouldn't ever find the expansion tank completely empty, and certainly the outside of the tank should not be wet like that. It could well be a leaking (Or not secured) cap though.

Phil B