Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V12 Esprit - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V12 Esprit

Hey Jason dont forget to increase the size of your in out pipes that run through your chassi,as im sure that v12 has bigger pipes for its cooling.I did it on my car,very straight forward,push out your old ones,cut out the hole to the size your looking for,push the new ones in.PS do you get a discount when you buy twelve plugs? Regards Serge.

Yippee a picture update on this project :shock:

Well we now know that a V12 will fit all be it with some bulk head mods.

Looks like you have done some stellar work there so far.

I too think you are going to have issue with you gearbox, but it has simplified the conversion a bit.

I take it you managed to fit it into the chassis without having to chop it about because the front of the engine does look a long way forward.

I guess you intent to do something about that big hole as the bulk head is used a stiffening structure for the body shell.

One thing I will say is that you may need to increase the clearance of the cut out as the engine does lift at the front (I can see my engine through the back window) by at least 25mm (possibly more, I am usually concentrating on looking where I am going. ) when I press on the loud peddle.

I am using standard V8 engine mounts so if you have something else then it may not be a problem.

As for cooling, I am fine tuning mine at the moment, you will need to consider coping with the extra heat generated.

I think I have got a final solution which I will be trailing this weekend.

Keep up the excellent work, and continue to add updates, I for one am very interested in your progress.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, I have been less than 100% the last few weeks (threw my back out - sucks)

In any case, I haven't taken any new pictures, but I put in the Dry sump bracket and I have a small problem due to the tight spaces and the stock BMW tensioner wheel will not fit. I may make one of my own, to keep pressure on the belt.

I also have to take a trip to visit a friend who cal make me a custom pulley for the dry sump.

It's all the little things that take the most time.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks to everyone for their interest and positive comments.

Jason

• 1 year later...

Great video Jason,

Thats just one crazy car, never thought you could shoe horn one of those in there. Hope you get all the leaks and the EMS stuff sorted soon , looking forward to some more videos of this monster!

Regards danny keep up the good effort :D

A

Very nice work, sounds ace!

Just noticed that you've somehow accidentally managed to install half the engine in the passenger compartment, as much as this will aid changing the cam belt half way round the McDonalds drive through, I'm sure catching your elbow on moving engine bits will make for a less than enjoyable drive?

Either way, very impressive :D

Chunky Lover

I have a temporary cover for the engine compartment for now - when I get some time I am having new sheet-metal covers made for the engine compartment and also the passenger compartment.

As far as the exhaust - it will me minimal.

Nice project. That V12 fit in the back is great and the sound is sweet too. God I wish I had the know how to even start a project like that.

Amazing work Jason!!! :)

I was really hoping the conversion would be a success (seen plenty of failed conversions on ebay :beer: ) and you certainly devilered! My jaw dropped when I watched the video. She sounds great, keep it up!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am hoping I will be able to drive it up and down the road this week - if I do I will post a video.

I have a few leaks to address - but I should be able to do something there.

Wow, that's impressive. The insane car becomes even more insane. Nice of Lotus to leave that bit of space between engine and seats, looks like you used up most of that. Almost as if they planned to put something longer in there.

As I recall, the BMW M1 used a ZF transaxle, same basic unit that was in the Pantera. If you can find one, maybe it can be adapted.

You could always adapt a Hewland DG, but no synchros so brush up on heel and toe and wear ear plugs, they have straight cut gears and they're noisy.

I kept the box in the stock location, I do not have any measurements though.

I actually drove the car yesterday around the block - but I had to start it in gear - I think the clutch was stuck engaged.

It went into limp home mode and I was only getting 1500 rpm out of it.

I still have some leaks that are really annoying me know.

Edited by lotusross

Once more I say... You crazy bugger!!! Great job man! I know what it's like to have those kind of bugs in the system... they are frustrating.. but it's all that much more sweet when it's done!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...

believe me

you dont want a hewland gearbox for the streets.... at least not one with dog gears. ever driven a crash box on the streets?

there is a beautiful prepared S3 turbo with a hewland dg500 box in it running around in michigan

nice v12 conversion btw...

cheers

pp

Thanks guys - I would prefer to keep the Citreon gearbox - I think it will hold up.

I am still working on a few bugs - I have a fault light coming on with the EML's (electric throttle bodies - drive by wire - it was WAY ahead of it's time) -

I will be working on the shift linkage this week - and cleaning up a few things until I either find someone to come pull the codes out of the system, or break down and spend some money and buy a proper code reader.

It's so old that it's hard to find a code reader for the engine.

Jason.

• 4 weeks later...

Jason,

Keep up the fantastic work and keep us posted! The Citroen gearbox will hold! To this point, no one that I can find has submitted relevant tolerance data for the Citroen Gearbox, just a lot of assumptions and conjecture.

In support of your gearbox choice, my 1979 S2 has a modified, intercooled turbo Buick GNX V6 motor in it producing just under 400 ft. lbs. of torque. The motor is mated to the stock Citroen gearbox. Converted back in 1987, the gearbox has only needed rebuilding once since that time (to be more accurate, it lasted about 20,000 miles). Another point to consider is that I rarely do standing starts and am not the abusive type.

As I think you expressed, I also just ordered the Quaife limited slip unit, which should serve to improve on an already reliable setup. In my case, I really need better traction

Edited by mywedge

I love that set-up - was it done by yourself? I love it.

I have seen pics of Lotus Esprits converted to GN power before - on different sites - and I considered it myself before going mental one day (it might have been heat stroke - it was hot that day) and went to the V12.

I share your sentiment about the Citreon transaxle, I think they are tougher than people think.

I am not abusive on equipment at all - I have learned to be gentle and smooth and stuff usually lasts longer, although I am very tough on tires (from cornering madness, not burn-outs).

People often think my M3 is front wheel drive - and I have to explain that it is rear drive - the fronts are worn because I work them harder.