Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gear link broken - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gear link broken

Hello all,

it happen to me this day, i just make a gear change (sporty one 2=>3) and after that i can't change any others gear (i was lucky the 3th was engaged).

My question is where i need to lock to solve this problem (engine side or driver side) ?

Cheers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try moving the shafts at the gearbox (transmission) by hand, if you can get it in gear then put the clutch down and start the car, does the car move?

If you can't start the car because it will not turn over enough then you either have a serious gearbox issue or a clutch issue.

If all gears are OK then it's likely to be cables/ unions. But before we go into lots of detail you'll need to gie a bit more info on the symptoms you're encountering in different situations.

Andy

Try moving the shafts at the gearbox (transmission) by hand, if you can get it in gear then put the clutch down and start the car, does the car move?

If you can't start the car because it will not turn over enough then you either have a serious gearbox issue or a clutch issue.

If all gears are OK then it's likely to be cables/ unions. But before we go into lots of detail you'll need to gie a bit more info on the symptoms you're encountering in different situations.

Andy

Hi Andy,

i have move my car to come back to my house. After i can't test all gear (my gear level is moving but no engagement of any gear).

Couple of pointers fro when you get it back home.

When you move the gear lever into what should be 3rd gear (as an example), does the lever move as far as it used to?

Can the lever then be moved from side to side (to where 1st or 5th should be) without first pulling the lever back to neutral?

My Peugeot used to suffer a gear change issue, if I found myself trying to burn off a fast car (and yes it could keep up to an S3 Esprit) I found myself slamming it from 1st to second, the cable end socket was worn (it was a female end that fitted to a ball on the gearbox lever) so it used to pop off, leaving me stuck in second gear. It did it to me in Milton Keynes, then again in Norwich. the first time I put it down to being poorly fitted, the second time I swapped the parts out and found it must be a weak point as Peugeot didn't sell just a single cable they sold a whole gear lever mechanism with 2 cables in the box that bolts under the car for approx

• Gold FFM

Do you have an car after the '98 design change ?? if you can move the rear end cable connections by hand, and you can see that the ball joints are tight in position than undo the plastic gear lever surround. Undo the two black cross head screws under the middle arm rest. You can pull up the colored plastic together with the aluminum gear lever ring and the leather bag. under it is an metal plate with M8 screws. Undo them and you have access to the gearlever and all of the ball joints. Maybe one of it is fallen off... .

Because it was not aligned correctly it happened on my car some years ago. After an short shift with an bit imprecise motion the ball joint get in wrong contact an one was sheared off... .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I found why my gear linkage doesnt work. The ball and the strut have been disconnected (i'm not sure of the word) on the gear boxc side.

The strut look like a little bit twist, it's that normal ?

and how much do you i expect to pay for one ball and strut brand new ( are they coming from a R25 ?)

Cheers

• Gold FFM

maybe your gear linkage wasn't well aligned. And/or it was not greased in the ball joints !? It is important that the 'pan' is in the right angle if it moves forward/backwards. Otherwise the edges will 'cut' the strut-base.

• Gold FFM

i can't see your pictures (some server problems !?), but anyway if the ball-joint gets older and older the rust 'grind' the plastic (nylon) inlay away. Therefore it is good to ad some grease, and always proof that is in the right angle. I can see an cut on my and i don't know how long it will last (but i guess my '98 with over 100.000km is a bit more than yours ??) :):respect:

• Gold FFM

An Lotus Esprit V8 needs the full man (or an committed girl) on the dry clutch, but never try an harsh shift. The shift mechanism is not refined after all... . All that 'double declutching' and the shift in forward than reward to park the car back-ways is not the best thing in an town. But that is really not the way it was designed .... :respect:

• Gold FFM

rumors say an Esprit was designed to run always 'in forward' and in the highest gear. (That's why the Esprit runs especially in the 5th so gooooooooddd !!!!! ) 280 and straight to the horizon Yipeeajayyyy!!

• Gold FFM

maybe, as the Esprit does also like 'cornering' -but the shifting is a bit odd ! Bud otherwise it looks as if you an talented driver , especially if someone sees what you have to do to engage the revers without silly noise... . I think the Esprit is an perfect car for mechanics and 'machinist' man

And thats why i like them !!

Edited by G

I just think the gearbox and gearbox linkage doesn't fit very well with the chassis capability.

Anyway i take some picture this evening to be sure that i haven't twist my strut :)

I go back to my diesel engine...

Thanks Peter but it's from the others side (gearbox), i have try to take some picture but my camera isn't really good and i don't like to stay outside when it's raining

cimg0801redioc8.jpg

cimg0803redidq3.jpg

this the failing ball but is it normal that this strut look like a bit twisted ?

Cheers :)

Nicolas

• Gold FFM

Nicolas, i see what you mean with 'bend' and yes, the treat-end should be straight ahead!

You have the later type of gear linkage (as in our cars after '98) -not the workshop-book picture above.

If the car is in neutral the gear lever inside should stay in the middle of the 3-4 way. And the cable ends should be straight. The only thing i can imagine is that your ball joint was pretty tight, and someone has bend it by the dismantle of the drive train. Was there any work on your car !?

Edited by G

The engine was rebuild that mean the engine and the gearbox have been remove.

The edge is separate from the ball (that why i cant put any gear), right now my car is on third gear.

I dont think the bend is natural (especially hard to screw something)

• Gold FFM

"..I dont think the bend is natural (especially hard to screw something)..."

that's what i say, it should be an straight cable-end .

Can you select all gears by hand on the gearbox ?

• Gold FFM

the test by hand was meant to verify that the gearbox is in fact in 'normal condition'. Nothing to worry about...