Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Waste gate - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Waste gate

I'm looking for a wast gate actuator, with hose access both sides of the diaphragm, so I can adjust the pressure. Has any one done this, or is there a better way? I only want to go to 1.2

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just buy the upgraded wastegate capsule.. .you can also simply increase tension on the rod.. but this has one small undesirable effect -- you no longer have a lower (0.5 bar) boost level for engine warm up.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Roger,

You only need an uprated one and you can adjust by the rod length or tap into it with a boost controller or bleed valve. The ones on my site are alloy with stainless steel rods. You can take apart and also fit different springs to give you even more flexibility. Standard spring is green 5-10PSi and the next one up is yelllow 9-15PSi. I think this will be enough but I have supplied a blue spring to someone once.

Dave Walters

My thinking on this is as Mark points out up the boost you up the boost. I'd be happy with no boost around town suburbs, shopping, but out on the open road I want to give it the big welly!

So adjustable boost seems to be the go, ideally zero to 1.2, that should about do it. I'm just looking for the best way of achieving it. I think it is probably advisable to fit a re-circulating blow of valve before I do this.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi Roger,

I wouldn't put a recirc valve on your car unless you have a chargecooler. You'll effectively be putting hot turbo air back into your air box then back into your intake system. You really need cooler air. The chargecooler takes care of this.

If yours is a non chargecooler then I'd be very careful about boost levels. All sounds and goes well until you get detonation and your engine goes.

An electronic boost controller lets you control boost like you want. I have one fitted to my V8. If you buy one, make sure it's reliable for boosts over 1Bar if that the way you want to go.

My Blitz controller is only good upto around 1BAR but I only need it to go to 0.75-0.80Bar. They will spike a lot if you don't get the right one!

Dave Walters

Ps. and don't forget about your boost cut out switch which comes in at about 1-1.1Bar.

A recirculating BOV is only necessary for an engine that is run on a Mass Air Flow sensor.. It is not required on an engine that runs on a Manifold Air Pressure sensor (of which, the Esprit is the latter).

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

I want to minimise lag on upward gear changes, which I believe become more pronounced at higher pressures.

Roger

There's something I'm missing about turbos, anybody know of any good books I can study?

Roger

Go to the Garrett USA website and visit turbos 101 !

Pretty good explanation on how it all works.

BTW you want a good external boost controller to get two boost options. = boost is stupid. You waste the fuel anyway..... .75 bar is pretty economical.

and you still got an edge on a Mini... :cheers:

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Thanks that was good advice, and good reading. Has anyone graphed the difference in pressure v time between a BOV and Rec-BOV between say 0.7 and 1.2

Roger