Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

A location that just crossed my mind is behind the rear wheels -- I recogonize the gravel issue.. but you could get around that by duct work... and you could make the air exit via some naca ducts on the rear quater panels or bumpers? As for the A/C condenser issue.. yes, it has to be removed before you can pull the engine.. but I'm thinking of replacing the allen bolt with a regular bolt.. maybe that will be easier? I'll have to look at it more to see though.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the intercooler cores I want to use, should be enough especially with forced air ducting. Lots of locations really, just need to get the parts and start doing it...

My A/C has regular bolts, pain in the ass to reach them.

It's the bolt that holds the lines to the compressor I'm speaking of... it's an allen bolt, and the ones that bolt the compressor to the engine are regular hex bolts.. but if the lines could be removed.. then you wouldn't have to remove the compressor.. I think.. hehehe.. I really should have a look at you're project one of these days... perhaps when John's car is done, we'll head up there with it or something -- assuming John likes this idea.. hehe..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Gary and I were alone at the shop. We finished up the Acura integra (enough to push it back outside anyway, it's getting a turbo kit soon.) Then we proceeded to take care of cleaning up a bit and finally, we got to do some work to the V8. Gary painted all the piping the same colour as the engine. I reassembled the V8 engine with the new EGR pipe and new exhuast studs etc..

Here's a shot of the engine with the new flexible EGR pipe:

DSCF1296.jpg

Here's a picture to show the colour of the piping compared to the engine:

DSCF1294.jpg

This is the bottom intercooler setup with piping routing shown:

DSCF1297.jpg

And.. the top intercooler setup:

DSCF1298.jpg

This is the suction line from the reservoir to the pump (strapped to the frame):

DSCF1299.jpg

And.. finally.. the pump is actually hooked up:

DSCF1303.jpg

With any luck.. we'll have the V8 back in next weekend.

It's looking great guys! I'm looking forward to spring even more now!

Missed you today John! Glad you're getting excited!

Mark;

Where did you get the replacement flexable EGR pipe? I will also need to slightly reroute mine around the intercoolers also. I am still waiting on the intercooler assemblies.

Wayne

The Older I get the Faster I was

I ordered a length of stainless steel high temperature, flexible piping and then had a local shop make up the ends. It wasn't as cheap as I had hoped.. but, it's done and the car is going to be working on all original factory equipment. This makes the kit a little more versatile.

Well.. The engine is in now. We are going to re-assemble the transmission next weekend and install it. With any luck, we can get some of the chargecooler setup done too!... I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get to work.

I'm a little late getting these shots on line.. This week at the dealership has been plain crazy! One of my co-workers sold 11 cars in 4 days!!! I didn't fare quite that well, but I've still been up to my eyeballs in workload. Anyhow, here's some shots from last Sunday.

This is a shot of the inside of the silicone 90.. now, here's why it's neat: there is an aluminum fitting that I baught (Thanks Dave!!!) from the UK than enables you to connect to a silicone hose.. which, in this case was of extreme importance.. as it leads to the Idle Air Control Valve.

DSCF0192.jpg

Here's Dave's claim to fame -- the centre console is BACK TOGETHER!!! YAY!!!

DSCF0193.jpg

And.. here's the engine.. in it's final resting place:

DSCF0195.jpg

Today was the day after my birthday.. and therefore... I was not in the best shape.. We didn't get up untill WELL after noon. But.. we were able to accomplish some stuff. We got the transmission in and got some hoses re-routed as well as spliced into the vaccuum system for the Blow off Valves.

Today was mostly spent on the RSX... well in terms of manpower anyway. Gary and Jonas (my client and owner of the RSX) took out the wastegate and we switched out the spring because of over-boost problems we've been having. We put in a weaker spring in hopes to solve the issue. After a few hours of banging knuckles, they managed to get the turbo kit back together and put the car back on the road. With the new spring we were able to keep boost pressures down to 7psi in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.. but 4th ended up hitting the fuel cut at 15psi again! ARRGGHH! I have one more trick up my sleeve before we have to put in a smaller turbo or a bigger wastegate. As for the V8... I think you will like the progress that was made.. as it's more visually pleasing, or at least the last shot is.

First off.. a couple of shots of the RSX:

_MG_1215.jpg

_MG_1216.jpg

This is a top shot with most of the plumbing fitted:

_MG_1209.jpg

This is what it looks like from under the passengers side. I know.. it's REALLY tight:

_MG_1206.jpg

Here's two shots of what it will look like when the carpet is fully installed.. Very pretty if I may say so :sofa:

_MG_1200.jpg

_MG_1197.jpg

I took some video of the RSX as well, but I'm having trouble with the codec -- it has no sound right now, so when I get it figured out.. I'll post it on youtube.

Well done Mark and Garry! Top notch job, and looking great. I love the splash of colour around!

You know it's spring when the robins and gophers, and the Lotuses - start coming out!

I'm glad you like the colours! There's a few tweeks left to go, but so far.. I'm very happy with it.

btw.. here's the video of the rsx..

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc144/m...ent=v_00034.flv

Mark,

Off topic (lotus at least), what size wastegate are you running on the RSX? how is the dump tube configured and what diameter? Also what size turbo housing and what are you running for a boost controller?

I've been down this path before, could be a number of things or a combination. I would wager it's the setup of the boost controller or you have too small of a wastegate. Boost creep as the load lengthens (higher gears) are typically too small of a wastegate, as the power increases so does the exhaust flow requirements, if the wastegate can't bleed off the pressure(<key word) it just builds more boost. The turbine housing could be a factor as well, especially with the high reving K20 engine.

Again it could be a combination of things, even your exhaust system sizing.

Paul

Thanks Tony and Paul! I agree that it's the wastegate that is too small, the kit comes with the same size wastegate regardless of the turbo and it's a 44mm wastegate on a gt3582r (if i recall correctly).

The system is being controlled by an electronic boost controller that came with the Hondata K-pro. I've bypassed the entire boost control system and tried running a line to just the bottom of the wastegate. My next step is to hook up the BOV to the boost controller as well, so that it will bleed off compressed air when the boost reaches max. Then, I am going to try Tony's idea -- get as high a pressure line as possible into it.

Oh yeah.. Paul -- you asked how the exhaust and dump tube were setup.. The dump is straight to atmosphere and the exhaust is about halfway down the car. I just realized, that if we hook the exhaust up fully.. we may be able to create enough back pressure on the turbo to help out the wastegate... good call! Thanks!

gt3582r

:)

I think I need to see this RSX, I am in the market for a new (08-09) Civic Si sedan, need an every day car, and well it might just get a turbo down the road...from your video I would have never guessed a GT3282r, seems much more responsive. I just drove a friends integra GSR with a T04E/T3 turbocharger and LSD, was pretty impressive.

Definately put some sort of exhaust on after the turbo, that would help a ton. 44mm isn't bad and might work after the exhaust is on

Edited by 97-Esprit V8

wow Mark! The intercoolers look fabulous! I'm very impressed! Top notch mate. Can't wait to see it running again

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I just got the chargecooler reservoir tank in today.. so I left work at 6:00pm and headed out to the shop to install it... and here's the result: (sorry about the quality of the pics, they were taken on a blackberry)

IMG00066.jpg

IMG00067.jpg

IMG00070.jpg

I've ordered a billet aluminum cap to go on it too. :yes:

Hey Mark ---- looking brilliant !

I can't wait to have her out on the streets again!

Top quality work, and nice looking too!

Today... Gary had a broken toe, so he didn't join us... but we got a huge amount done! Here are the pics, with progress notes:

This is just before we started disassembly on thursday night:

DSCF0199.jpg

POOF! Disassembly complete!

DSCF0200.jpg

Reassembly begins:

DSCF0205.jpg

Bottom intercooler mostly hooked up:

DSCF0209.jpg

Top intercooler beginning installation:

DSCF0211.jpg

Further along...

DSCF0213.jpg

Same point in the installation from the other side of the car:

DSCF0214.jpg

Little more assembled from the drivers side again.

DSCF0218.jpg

The view from under the passengers side... a little tight!

DSCF0223.jpg

Same view from drivers side this time:

DSCF0226.jpg

Installed!

DSCF0230.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

There you have it! Plus.. we also installed all the suspension, drive shafts, filled the transmission, replaced a transmission seal that was out of alignment, filled the chargecooler system.. fixed the leaks... And... Dave did a whole bunch of checking and fixing under the front of the car (rad mounts and so on)... PLUS Dave polished the ENTIRE exhaust and the intercoolers and the reservoir tank... I know I'm missing a bunch.. but that's what I can remember.

... gorgeous ... !

:) B)

Thanks John! I'm very happy with it so far.. I just can't wait to fire it up!!! :)