Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Question--boost controller - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Question--boost controller

I think my boost solenoid is bad again (2nd time). My boost is down to 5 psi. All hoses and turbo in good operation.

I'm thinking of replacing the solenoid to a simple manual boost controller.

Can I use the two red hose (plastic vacuum) connected to the solenoid to the manual boost controller?

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

the red plastic hose is not vacuum, it's real intake-manifold pressure (directly from the the plenum, look rear end on RH side)

It goes as reference to an boost sensor inside RH engine bay (behind the side cover), and across the solenoid (which is regulated by the ECM)

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Sorry Gunther---I meant pressure not a vacuum, you are right.

Can I use the two lines from the solenoid to put in my manual boost controller?

I'm tire of replacing the solenoid. My plan is to fix the boost to 12psi no more no less.

Why don't you just replace the actuators with better ones from Forge Motorsports? They use a spring instead of a diaphragm and are serviceable not to mention they are made out of a lot better materials. I ordered a set not too long ago and am just waiting on them to show up.

DoPorto---Just buying a strong actuator does not mean you will get more boost. The boost control solenoid

occilate to dictate more boost. If you put a strong actuator, your boost control solenoid still there and bad, either the boost is only 5psi or overboost.

If the solenoid is good, yes you can get more boost while its occilating.

Likewise, I have 14psi actuator too. What I'm trying to do is to delete the solenoid in replacement of

manual boost controller.

• Gold FFM

Steve: the originals also have an spring inside... . Bud you're right -if that diaphragm is old it can crack and is not replaceable. So what me interest is: have those aluminum um waste gate actuators an sliding piston inside !?

Che: as it's the real pressure -why not. You can than adjust the boost manually, bud I'm not sure that the ECM will not show an check engine light, because you hold the boost to an stable 12psi level (even if its not used by the engine to produce more power... . ) . Or does have the controller some sort of 'intelligence' in it ??

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

"bud I'm not sure that the ECM will not show an check engine light, because you hold the boost to an stable 12psi level"

Gunther---thanks,

I'm not too sure too if the ECU will send a CEL if I delete the solenoid and replace it with

manual controller.

I'm looking for someone who already installed a manual boost controller.

Che,

I have a electronic boost controller on my V8. I've used a blitz one. Yes you do replace the red hoses and plug it into the aftermarket one but make sure you have the right inlet and outlet path. Also keep your OEM plugged into the Lotus plug otherwise you'll get a check engine light on.

Dave

I never use an electronic boost controller before. I used a bunch of manual.

You are right spike can be dangerous too.

I will try to use the manual for now, then shop with electronic unit.

I will be very careful.