Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
88 turbo pressure sensing pipe - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

88 turbo pressure sensing pipe

I have recently been working at getting mine back on the road. I was going over all the vaccum hoses, being an 88 Bosch injected always important, and noticed a dangling hose. When I tracked it down it seemed be attached to the metal pipe hooked to wastegate. After reading the manual it said it is supposed to be connected to the compressor outlet. I couldn't find an open connector.

Anyone know where it plugs in? Vacuum diagram does not show it, possibly teed to the one for boost transducer?

I may have disconnected it a few years ago when I corrected all the vacuum lines PO has messed up so it would not run.

Any help would be appreciated

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If when you say waste gate you mean the waste gate actuator, it is only a short hose 4-5 inches, there should be a small elbow piece around the neck of the turbo outlet side, it's important because with out it the waste gate doesn't open.

Try this link http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ET...ical/turbo.html

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Where does the hose which comes from the compressor go to? On later models, it goes to a frequency valve (controlled by the ECU) in the boot relay compartment, then back to the wastegate actuator diaphragm.

Some folks hook up their own controllers inbetween the compressor outlet and the wastegate actuator diaphragm. You can control it electronically, or have a less complex control where you can dial in a particular wastegate actuation value (set and forget).

With no control of the diaphragm, you can overboost the engine.

Thanks for the info.

Roger, I had already read section EB it only showed diagram of car turbo, that was where I got the description I used. I didn't read the EMH section since it is for charge cooled cars, with internal wastegate.

The reason I mentioned the car was Bosch injected is that it has an external wastegate with metal pipe(maybe 1/4 in) with hose attached, I am wondering where that hose connects. Once I saw what is connected to I knew I needed to find out where it goes.

Qavion, Actually my question was where does the hose connecting to external wastegate connect to on Bosch injected car.

Thanks,

Hey Niles

here is a photo of my 88 injected turbo.

sorry for the mess, am half way through putting the clutch back together, with the box going in yesterday and teh rest during the week this week, ( hopefully)

i assume this is the hose you are talking about? mine goes to the wastegate but may look different as i do not have the garrett wastegate anymore, the plumbing should look the same i would imagine though.

Hope this helps

Justin

post-53-1227391021.jpg

post-53-1227391048.jpg

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Justin,

That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks alot!! It confirm where I was starting to think about. The turbo has been changed to another type other than stock. My turbo just has a flat casting spot there, no hole or fitting or plug.

My turbo has markings Garrett A/R 60 prrts(?) M24 on it. I will take a pic and upload this evening and see if anyone knows what it might be off of. I did find a turbo rebuild kit receipt in PO paperwork.

Niles

Qavion, Actually my question was where does the hose connecting to external wastegate connect to on Bosch injected car.

As Justin's photo shows, Niles, the compressor normally has a pipe coming from it. I just wanted to know where the output of your compressor pipe went to.

Instead of a pipe going directly from the compressor to the wastegate capsule, I thought a previous owner had tried to fit some kind of controller on the compressor pipe and not reconnected the compressor~controller pipe to the wastegate capsule (or it had fallen off) :dizzy:

I'm surprised this turbo rebuild didn't damage the car. You may notice less top boost if you install a pipe (unless the turbo kit has limited the boost in an other way), but it should be healthier for your car. Note that the pipe does not have to be solid metal (as long as you keep it away from the hot parts of the turbo).

However, before you start drilling holes in the turbo, I'd look at the plumbing further downstream from the compressor. Maybe the "kit" has installed a pipe similar to the standard setup in the plumbing between the turbo and the inlet manifold (it may be dangling in the breeze making loud hissing noises .:devil: ).

Cheers.

Ian.

Great News Niles

hey i googled the "Garrett A/R 60 prrts" and loads came up. i think that the A/R 60 referes to the pitch of the turbine, or the flow rate. maybe he has had it high flowed?

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Yeah I did some searching also but it looked like most of those number were on lots of turbos, no plate with part number that I could find. It looks like intake side has 60 stamped on it and exhaust side has 53.

I am curious if anyone has seen one like this beofre or knows what it might be off of so I am posting a picture of it.

Niles

post-1584-1227413534.jpg