Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Toyota Big Brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Toyota Big Brakes

:sleeping:

I have what I think is a good question.I have read that the front brakes on my 88MY are the same as a 1984-85 Celica.And I have seen big brake kits for 88MY go for big bucks.But I have also seen Big brakes kits for the Toyota Celica,but they are much less,around $750.00.cross drilled and 4 piston Willwood calipers.

Has anyone looked into this?

And what diameter rotors will fit within my 15"wheels? The reason for all my brake interest is that while on a recent rather spirited jaunt down a local mountain road,my brakes were very hard to depress enough to slow down at a comfortable rate.If someone can think of a better upgrade or if I may have some other problem please advise as this was a very strange feeling.They work great while driving in a normal manner,but turn up the excitement and they feel like manual brakes that don't want to grab good enough to stop as quick as I would like to.

Thanks

Car Lover,,at least thats how the report read.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try changing your brake fluid and trying some softer compound pads...

Mind you these cars are known for thier rubbish brakes.

I am interested in knowing the alternative option also.

Goodluck!

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Doyle,

There are several options available. If the 88 in fact has the toyota brakes, Lotus Prepared by Claudius has a superb set of big 6 pot brakes that I believe would fit under the stock wheels( You may check on that though). I believe I paid around 1700 USD, which I thought was quite reasonable. The big brake kit I put on my RX7 was 2300 and although it had slightly bigger rotors, the LPBC kit was more complete and performs excellently! IMHO! He also sells a 4 pot kit for a little less but imho the 6 pot kit is light years better and looks a treat too!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

you need to be careful here... the 88 has inboard rear brakes... this causes a big problem... if you're front brakes are awesome... but you still have the crappy inboard rear brakes.. then you end up with a totally out of balance braking system... and you could end up with a more dangerous situation.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.