Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
engine and gearbox oil? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

engine and gearbox oil?

BIG7 007

Hi all,

my 1981 S3 Esprit is coming along nicely.. i need to change the engine and gearbox oil.. things I need to know are:

1.. what is the best oil to put in the engine (i have gen Lotus oil filter) car has done 67,000 miles

2.. what is the best oil to put in the gearbox and is there a special way to fill it up? (have heard that you need to give the oil time to fill the 5th gear up ??) :)

Any help on this would be great

regards

Alan n BIG7 007

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The suggested viscosity is 10w60, but as noted above 20w50 is in limits, lots use Castrol, some Valvoline. The choice in 10w60 is pretty limited, 20w50 opens it up quite a bit but still nowhere near as wide a choice as if we were running 10w 40 or something.

Royal Purple 20-w50 engine oil and 75w90 in the gearbox. My car loves the stuff. Shifts really well after going to Royal Purple. And I only fill the engine oil to the lower limit on the dip stick.

Edited by h00kem

• 3 weeks later...