Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Suspension help needed - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Suspension help needed

Well it looks like I ate all the pies. I dropped into the Esprit this morning and nearly had a heart attack as there was a big bang that sounded like someone had shot the car.

Of course, it was one of the front springs giving up the ghost but it wasn't half loud. I have definately got to go on a diet.

Anyway, I now need to get two new front springs. I'm only going to replace the springs as I cannot afford the full "new" suspension at the moment. I assume that the only springs now available are the new ones but will they work with the old dampers etc.? I saw something about them needing some adaptors but cannot find any details on this. Can anyone help?

Also, I'm not going to try tackling this job myself - I'd have to do it in the street and I don't have any spring compressors anyway - but I know that Esprit springs can be tricky because of the tight spaces between the coils. Is there anything I should suggest to the garage who will do this job? I don't want them either breaking something else or hurting themselves if they do this the wrong way. I've seen what happens when a suspension unit explodes.

All help appreciated.

Richard

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the new dampers to use old springs I think you have to use adapters, but doubt the reverse items are readily available. Springs are listed on SJ, so may be available, and as he lists them with Lotus part numbers it hints they should be available from dealers.

You could go second hand, just try and get an even pair from the same vehicle.

I used an hydraulic press to re-install the springs onto the front shocks, I made up a cup to fit over the ram piston on the press that I could bolt the bottom of the shock to. The shock was upside down with the spring cup wresting on the platform. It worked well couple of minutes each, job done.

If you don't get it, I'll try drawing it for you. (you're right about spring compressors)

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Thanks for the help guys,

I've managed to get one of the last two pairs of springs available from Lotus so I'm sorted.

It's a bit worrying though. This means that when they go next time (not for another 20 years hopefully) it's unlikely that last pair will still be available. I'd better start saving! :D

I've also found a local garage who have a great big spring clamp thingy which is more than up to the job. They use it for trucks and all sorts.

Richard