Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
seatbelt poll - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

seatbelt poll

Guest teigan

do you wear your seatbelts in the esprit?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm racking my brains for the "againsts".....got a list? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WELL....

A long time ago when I was in my twenties and working as a mechanic in a sports car garage in Sussex . Lots of Lotus (agency) E types , 3.8 MK2 Jaguars ,Alfas Porsches etc. in and out all the time Lots of Fun Usually Dangerous!! :):(

I had just balanced the triple SUs on a local publicans 3.8 Jaguar ( a rather quick car at the time) and any excuse to have a blast up the road, " Just gonna check the carbs" I yelled at the boss as I shot off the lot heading for the nearest quick road. ( This was when Mike Hailwood, Jim Clark , (my heroes,) and I thought we were indestructible) Who needs these newfangled seatbelts? I had not got them fitted in my own car and it had not yet been made law to wear them at all times.

"Goes well this Three eight," :( I thought pulling about 90 plus and breasting a rise in the road to find a tractor and sileage trailer on the right hand side of the single carriageway pulling into a farm entrance on my left :(:( ........................

The dust settles , I regain some awareness to find myself half out on the bonnet through the windscreen, :(:( tractor and trailer are on their side, apparantly the witnesses said the tractor driver had heard the sound of locked wheels and legged it !! :(

The frightening thing for me was to see the A pillar diagonally accross the drivers seat and the seat back horizontal under the pillar. :(

I most certainly would not have survived that situation and so the jury is still out as far as I am concerned, although I always do wear the belt as I find as has been said earlier, it aids the "seat of the pants feel and completeness " with the car.

Mike

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me no seat belt just confirms the theory of evolution .....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Guest esprit geoff

Well I certainly remember the days pre-legislation and as a passenger if the driver braked suddenly wherever you were sitting in the car, you certainly continued on the journey!!!

Geoff.

i've been in quite a few high speed wrecks in some of the mercedes. once a 2 ton cargo van ran a red light and rammed my car from the driver's side door. i wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and because i had no velocity to contribute on the impact axis, my car took all the damage. i'll tell you in the next installment whether i survived.

I fall into the pro-seatbelts category here needless to say [it's only about 2% of accidents where they are not beneficial]

However...

This thread has made me question one thing? How many of us remember to belt-up in a taxi?

I know I'm terrible at it... I tend to do this 'hang onto the yellow handles thing' - just seems natural.

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

London taxi no, everywhere else yes, even when they give me funny looks. weird protocol, taxi drivers never wears seatbelts to prove they are safe, proceed to drive like mad max, passenger wears no seatbelts to show they trust the driver. even on the motorway to the airport with speeds upto 140kph. no way. rather be alive than worry about offending a taxi driver.

A tranny fake Elvis and the world's first chav! :(

Jangle-jangle, jewellery-jewellery! :)

When I first say that picture I just thought "dead man walking!" ...Looks like a bloody Zombie! :(

Or was this perhaps a salutary tale? Wear your seatbelt, or you too will end up looking like this! :(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I fall into the pro-seatbelts category here needless to say [it's only about 2% of accidents where they are not beneficial]

However...

This thread has made me question one thing? How many of us remember to belt-up in a taxi?

I know I'm terrible at it... I tend to do this 'hang onto the yellow handles thing' - just seems natural.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taxi? what's a taxi? is that like a bus?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I have always worn a seatbelt in cars (unless there are none fitted) :(

Some of the older stuff I lookafter (1950s) and before dont have any. :)

It is a very disconcerting feeling for me to drive them (even a short way) :(

Havent made my mind up on airbags though! :(

In a low speed accident the bags can cause quite bad injuries(break arms, blow hands up into windshield etc.) and could cause you to loose control of a car when you could have saved it from getting into a worse wreck after they have deployed.

But in a serious crash(side impact or head on )they are just what the Dr. ordered :(

AS FOR PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR CELL PHONES AS THEY ARE DRIVING , SMARTEN UP YOU DUMMIES!!! :(

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Taxi:

london-taxi-impressum.jpg

Bus:

red%20london%20bus.jpg

Spot the difference  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where I live I dont see either of those but I do see plenty of these

cowayr.gif

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

nov19_Cabfare.jpg

You guys think the Black cabs are bad! :)

Requirements for cab driver in Trenton Ontario:-

1 Must have some form of mental handicap (Lobotomy, dilusional, experiment victim)

2.Must have served at least 2 yrs. in Warkworth penetentiary

3.Must be chain smoker(at least 40 a day)

4.Must be 1 point away from losing driver permit

5.Must know fastest way to beer store or drug dealer from any spot in town

6.Must have at least a 10yr. old vehicle(in bad mechanical shape)

7. Must be bad at arithmetic (round fares up to nearest $20)

8.Must be able to swerve from lane to lane for no apparent reason

9.Must only shower once a month(whether needed or not)

10.Must never use turn signal for any reason

SUNP0003-1.jpg

10-4 Banana Man! :(  :)

You recovered from your birthday yet? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm recovering a bit by bit :( Tomorrow is the last day at work and then a little holiday :( We're going to Helsinki to celebrate my birthday :( There's Helsinki MotorShow (mainly new standard cars). That's been a tradition on every year to take off friday at work and going to Helsinki MotorShow :(

Here's a link http://www.helsinkimotorshow.fi (sorry only in finnish).

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

The link worked in English :P

No sign of a Lotus stand at the show :P

Going to the Toronto Motor Show in February :P

Got a plan to get onto the Lotus stand (wink)

Im going to impersonate Tony Kimberleys dad :blink::P:lol:

I hope the security people arent too rough on me :P

GMLink_Kimberley.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg