Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any experience with freeze-12? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Any experience with freeze-12?

Came across what is supposed to be a replacement refrigerant for R12 equipped vehicles, that can be used without modifying the system. Called Freeze-12.

Has anyone tried this, and does it work? Local vendors don't sell it, have to order it online.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I use it. Works fine.

I bought I kit on e-bay - 3 cans of refill, 1 can of oil, 1 can of stop leak and the adapters - $40.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• 2 weeks later...

I've also used it. The nice thing about this is it can be charged as a gas. Most other blends are charged as a liquid. This is important, if you still have a small leak the liquid blends will vent off at different points thus changing the make up of the blend. Also freeze 12 has lower operating pressure that many blends, and is one of the few that actuall get as cold as R-12. Plus no change over on oils is needed

Is this only US contraband or can anyone get it??? I want to try...

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Freeze 12 may be the same as Hychill HR12 which is a blend of Propane and Isobutane ( approx 50/50 mix ). It's a CFC free drop in replacement for the old R12. Also you only need to put about 50% of the charge weight in, so if your old system took 2lbs of R12, you only need about 1lb of HR12.

Go to www.hychill.com.au and click the 'Technical Product Information' tab on their website home page. At the top of that page there is a link to 'Hychill manual' it's really informative and explains how to regas your system and has tips on fault finding etc. it also has weight charts for various car types.

Also note that HR12 is a replacement gas, NOT a top up for existing R12/R134a systems. The oil and seals from your existing system are OK with HR12, no need to replace them.

Just an observation, I was in a camping store the other day and noticed that they had a 50/50 isobutane/propane mix in a small cylinder for a fraction of the cost - not that I am saying you should...................no.no.no. :D

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

Freeze 12 does not contain propane or butane. It is a blend of about 70% R134a and other chemicals such as 1-Difluoroethane. It is certified by the EPA in the US as an acceptable replacement for R-12 and R134a.

HC (hydrocarbon) refrigerants containg propane or butane are not legal in the US in most instances for auto applications.

1995 S4s

That's good to know. It's strange how the regulations differ from country to country and even within countries - state to state. Over here in Australia you can't even mention R12, let alone purchase it! There are rumours that R134a is to be phased out over the next few years too.

Just for reference, Isobutane is also known as R600a and Propane is known as R290, both widely used regrigerant gases in many countries for automotive, industrial and domestic refrigeration applications in various mixes. It can be purchased over the counter here without having to hold a refrigeration license too, the only option available if Aussies want to go the DIY route. Re-charge kits for R134a etc are not legally available here in Australia to consumers, and it's not possible to purchase them from overseas and have them posted due to quarantine and customs regs.

UPDATE:

I have re-gassed my air con with R600a/R290 blend which I purchased from the local camping store for $15. The re-gas was easy and the gas pressure gauges I used show the correct readings as per the Hychill Technical manual - 130psi on the high side and 30psi on the low side when running. It cools really well, it's been in there for over a month now with no signs of leaks.

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !