Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
electric fans - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

electric fans

pete

Two of the electric cooling fans have started to get noisy. Can they be overhauled i.e. new bearings or should i start looking for some replacement ones

Peter

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago I got my radiators and fans replaced by Esprit Engineering - I cant recall the cost, but the it was a great job and well worth it.

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Have you tried simply lubricating them? 3-in-1 oil in an aerosol and a quick squirt to each worked wonders on mine...a few years back they made such a racket in a jam on th Peripherique in Paris it was embarrasing! Oiled the little devils and all is now sweetness and light. When I bought the beast in 1988 they were the first things to go wrong....I got 3 fans from a scrapyard; chap wondered why I needed 3 fans for an Allegro...but you won't find those in a scrapyard these days!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I found the same ones from a Ford fiesta Mk 1, however try finding one of those, as well, in a scrappy these days. Unless it's Top gear or 'Ashes to Ashes, who seam to be in the habbit of wrecking old BL cars these days.

Mine started to continually trip the relay, & with them being over 20 yrs old I thought it was time time to change them.

I replaced mine last year with the yellow 5 bladed versions as found on the later 4 pot & V8s. I got them from SJ, $60 each approx if I recall. Just bolt on & some minor mods to the electrical wiring to make fit. I ve no problems with since.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

I cannot believe that in Blighty the fans should ever come on. I have been driving mine in hot Africa for quite a few years and never had the temperature up to where the fans should come on. In fairness, we do not have traffic jams out her in the Southern Cape like you can in the UK.

I will go with the oil remedy myself.

definitely try the oil method over the weekend .if no good think"superdavelotus" will be getting a pm

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I found the same ones from a Ford fiesta Mk 1, however try finding one of those, as well, in a scrappy these days. Unless it's Top gear or 'Ashes to Ashes, who seam to be in the habbit of wrecking old BL cars these days.

Now Daz.

Have you had a lot to drink already this evening?

lets assume Yes, and that's why you mention the Fiesta and BL cars. :)