Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 restoration diary - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 restoration diary

So, here we go... Purchased a '78 S2 a few weeks ago. The car has been out of traffic for a long time so it's gonna need quit some work, both mechanical and optical. But I've decided to go slow, especially trying to do almost everything myself to reduce the costs a bit.

CIMG4337.jpg

Started of with removing the brakes, as they all were stuck and now the car is "a bit" easier to push around... All bolts were quit easy to remove, not one was really rusted in very hard....Good start !!

1.jpg

Next on the list is removing the engine; removed the tailgate and unbolted and disconnected all lines (I think I did :-)

Now I just need to loosen the engine and trans supports. Engine support are "reachable" but how the hell do you to get to the bolts of the trans support ?? Guess I need to remove all the stuff above that rear crossmember ??

2.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gert,

Welcome to the world of Lotus restoration. I have a 78 S1 and tried to work on it without taking the body off and finally relented and had to take the chassis out. I had to as the brake lines and pipe clamps were croded and I couldnt get to them without losing my fingers or my mind. There was so much that I struggled with it has ended up far quicker.

Even after I took the body off the trans was difficult to unbolt. I ended up taking the bottom chassis rail under the gearbox out with the trans as it seemed the easiest way of getting it unbolted. Some of the bolts were stuck solid like the front left stabliser bolt that holds the chassis diagonally to the back beam, I had to cut it off and drill it out as it has definitely grown attached to the chassis so hopefully yours isnt so difficult.

Frank

Yeah, I was thinking that would be easiest...Need to take the body off anyway, so I guess the interior needs to get out first...

Edited by USAndretti42
No need to quote the last post

Hello,

Nice vehicle! Where in Belgium are you located? I'm currently restoring a 1984 Turbo S3...steep learning curve *smile*

best regards from the Netherlands,

Ruud-Peter

Hi Ruud-Peter!

I live in a town called Balen, close to the Dutch border, near Valkenswaard.

The learning curve...I know, but the Esprit doesn't seem to be the hardest one !!

Luckely we have no body rust to be taken care of , haha :-)

grtz,

Gert.

Hello,

It seems we don't live that much apart from eachother. I'm a bit more towards Maastricht however.

It's always nice to see another Esprit, which is being restored. I know how much work and effort they take, but I know it's worth it....

If you need any help or want to compare vehicles details with mine, feel free to send me a short message.

Regards, Ruud-Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Spend most of this week stripping the car down.

Baddest thing (technically) I discovered are the totaly worn hinges of the headlights, gonna

need to sort that out later. Next days the left door and interior are going out. Than I can go

searching for all the chassis/body bolts. I'm planning to build some kind of construction to lift

the body against the roof, so I can save a bunch of space, and put my wives daily driver inside

in winter....

CIMG4394.jpg

CIMG4396.jpg

I'm mostly also taking pics of how everything is fitted, like the door opening mechanism;

seems simpel now, but some things can be a pain to fit right after a few months....

CIMG4390.jpg

Gert

Looks like your getting stuck in well

I am taking the engine and box out mine tomorrow so hope to have some pictures tomorrow night. Its all set up ready to lift but limited roof height means i have to do it outside so decided to wait till the weekend

Yes, the original color was silver. I like a silver/red combination too for oldtimer cars, but just not for an (older type) Esprit. I am still thinking of the color, but I think white it will be. The red interior still will look good with white I think.