Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ADVICE NEEDED! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ADVICE NEEDED!

silverfrost

Hi everyone!

After fitting the new waterpump i found that my thermostat was sticking! with all the dealers i normally use been closed i had no hope of getting one over the christmas period :) however a small motor factor was open and i had to go in to get some brake pads and discs for the wifes car! i asked on the off chance for a thermostat expecting the reply to be no! but yes they had one :lol:

the origanal one i replaced was a WAHLER but now i have fitted

a QUINTON HAZELL part number QTH104K, i even double checked on there website when i got back to make sure it was the right one!

Ran the car up with the heater on hot and all went well, car came up to temprature thermostat opened and system bled and fans cut in! left it running

with the expansion cap off and left it ticking over! runs at 970rpm on idle and

always sits bang on in the centre between the 75c mark and 90c mark!

However my coolant fans did not cut out and as you a result drain my battery! is there something wrong! should i be worrying can the fan switch be tested! the radiator is less than a year old and i flushed it through and its fine!

any ideas would be greatly appreaciated as if i scracth my head anymore ill go through to my skull! or am i just worrying over nothing! but i think not!

Edited by silverfrost

A

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am in the process of restoring my 1984 turbo esprit and am thinking about the possibility of swapping the engine with an S4 2.2L engine. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few of my concerns:

1. would there be any mounting or space problems if I were to install the s4 engine.

2. would there be any mounting or space problems if I were to install the s4 engine together with the renault gearbox.

3. Could I use the existing citroen gearbox with the S4 engine just by changing the bell house should the need arise.

This is my very first lotus and am not too familiar with the differences between the different models and hence would be very much appreciaive if anyone would share their knowledge on this matter.

Thank you,

Siva

Hi Dan

The fans will stay on for long periods of time if the car is just standing still, what should happen is that the fans should come on until they cool the water then cut out, but if your standing still they will cut back in very quickly

Also if your expansion cap has been left of then your system would not be pressurised so your water would come up to a higher temperature sooner again turning the fans on.

If your temperature is reading ok and you are shore that the thermostat is opening try putting the cap back on your expansion tank and see if the fans cut in and out.

But if your not moving then they will be on longer than they will be of.

Just a thought but I am surprised that you battery run down if engine was going, that could be a sign of things to come

Hope this helps

Ray

Cheers ray and wayne!

no the fans go off after about 2mins after switch off!

i will run the car up tommorow with the expansion cap on! and see if it makes

a difference! the weathers a bit to crap at the moment with the snow to take

her out! i understand about the radiator fans been on more due to there been

no forced air flow into the radiator! i thinks its just that i have not used the car

recently and have always been paranoid about overheating on her!

many thanks for the info off everybody

regards dan :lol:

A

Hi i had this problem on my car it was the fan relay(fans would run all the time even when keys out) thought it was the otter switch but it was the relay under the washer bottle/headlight.If you want to swap some relays dan i can pop round in mine if it helps?

Started the car today,

ran the engine with the expansion cap on!

ran the car up to normal running temprature and BINGO :blink::D

she cut in with both fans and cut out after a few mins and then back on a few mins later! normal running temp! nice and warm heater! :D:D

and one very happy esprit owner! :P:P also as an added bonus on running

her up i noticed the battery voltage gauge draining again! pushed the wires at

the back of the alternator and up went the gauge after a few seconds! so hopefully it just needs a new connector! :)

cheers for the help guys! also cheers keir for the offer of the relays, can you pm me your number and we will have to meet up again regards dan :)

many thanks for the help and suggestions to you all :)

A