Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
would this engine fit my car? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

would this engine fit my car?

Gert

Found a 1981 2.2 liter crate engine for sale in Belgium.

It says a 1981 Sunbeam/Lotus 2.2 liter engine.(150 Hp)

Bought in '81 and never came out of the box.

I wonder if this engine would fit my '78 S2???? I rather

would keep the original 2.0 liter, but this could be a

hell cheaper than restoring my engine ...

It says 150 hp, that's less than the 2.0 liter ????

20513625_2.jpg

Edited by Gert

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There would be a few things to do, but it can be made to fit.

Sump- may not fit so may have to fit your original one.

Water pump, may not fit as pipes may come out forwards, so may have to swap to Esprit one, ditto a few cooling connections may be different.

Generally, it should fit, I'd say go for it unless you want to go the whole hog and get a later High Compression one and get the extra 30HP (according to book figures), although you may find that 150BHP is more like 160 anyway.

Turns out he wants more money of it than he wanted to let me believe in the beginning. He's asking 2500 Euro.

Too much I think, as I can buy a good running (rear damaged) Eclat with that engine for half that money.

And I wonder if an engine that has been sitting for this long time won't need an overhaul either ? Or some parts

any way.

If someone is interested, this guy sells the engine;

dominiek.gielen(at)telenet.be

• 3 weeks later...

Another question about compatibility of engines. I know some damaged Lotus cars for sale (85 Excel and 88 Eclat). Both with good 2.2 engines. Are all these engines basically the same and usable for my S2 ? And how are these engines compared to the original 2.0 in my car (power) ??

thnx,

Gert.

Edited by Gert

Hi,I bought an HC2.2 engine from MatK last year.Eventualy finished assembling it this year.It seems to have larger valves an a higher lift cam fitted.After fitting parts from my S1 ,water pump alternator ect,it was an easy fit.

Purchased fully rebuilt and fitted,new exhaust ect it cost circa

Edited by espritmania