Engine mounts - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine mounts

pgn340r

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked to Shinoo at Sector 111 and while it's possible the vibration may be a bit less with their mounts, it will still be there. Their recommendation is that it's a "must-do" mod for track cars...not the best for daily drivers/street cars.

For me, the stiffer engine mounts are a necessity -- had it done to my 2Eleven upon delivery.

.............the stiffer the better! I ran one session with the OEM mounts and the 2-Eleven exhibited the same sloppy shifting of Elise/Exige variants. I was not able to get my hands on the Lotus Sport bushings in time to do my latest track time so I ordered the "inserts" from Manley. Delivery was great, installation instructions complete, installation was pretty elementary, and they can be taken out just as easily as they were put in returing the car to OEM. Although the car exhibited vibration at idle, I'm not convinced that the "inserts" gave the 2-Eleven the crisp shifting that everyone claims for the Lotus Sport bushing replacement. As Jack said, and Shinoo also told me, whatever more rigid mount you choose over OEM, it probably shouldn't be used in a strictly street car and questionable even in a car only occasionally used on track. In an effort to get more positive shifting, I'm going to install the Lotus Sport (or Sector 111) mounts over the Manley inserts before my next track event to see if there is a perceived difference.

Bill

Personally I don't see the problem using the upgraded mounts on the 2eleven whether for road or track use considering the nature of the car. Refinement is not what the car is about.

Sure I wouldn't use them in a BMW or Mercedes or maybe even an Exige for that matter, but in the 2eleven I would say go for it. It's without doubt the best upgrade I have fitted to the car. Cannot say that it has made any real noticable improvement to the gear change, but the gains in throttle response and not having the engine jerking around every time you floor it or lift off ( and possible strain on other components) far outway anything else.

It is also not a massively expensive mod and easy enough to switch back if you don't like.

Paul

Edited by pgn340r

Here is what I did to my Elise mounts. I cleaned up the loose rubber......

post-222-1223829880_thumb.jpg

Then I filled them with 80 liquid flexane urethane......

post-222-1223829961_thumb.jpg

It worked perfect and transmitted very little additional vibration, engine response and shifting dramatic improvement. Cost less than $50. I let the urethane dry for 3 days before putting them in service. It will be the first mod to my 211. ;)

Dan

Dan

• 3 months later...
.............the stiffer the better! I ran one session with the OEM mounts and the 2-Eleven exhibited the same sloppy shifting of Elise/Exige variants. I was not able to get my hands on the Lotus Sport bushings in time to do my latest track time so I ordered the "inserts" from Manley. Delivery was great, installation instructions complete, installation was pretty elementary, and they can be taken out just as easily as they were put in returing the car to OEM. Although the car exhibited vibration at idle, I'm not convinced that the "inserts" gave the 2-Eleven the crisp shifting that everyone claims for the Lotus Sport bushing replacement. As Jack said, and Shinoo also told me, whatever more rigid mount you choose over OEM, it probably shouldn't be used in a strictly street car and questionable even in a car only occasionally used on track. In an effort to get more positive shifting, I'm going to install the Lotus Sport (or Sector 111) mounts over the Manley inserts before my next track event to see if there is a perceived difference.

Bill

Bill,

Which one did you finally go with? Can you elaborate on the differences if any?

Thanks,

Manny