Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
211 won't start - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

211 won't start

gilles027

Hi guys,

sadly my 211 won't start any more. :blink:

When i turn the main switch, the Dash starts its common process. Then i turn the key and press the start button, but all that happens is that i makes some "slotschhhhh" sound and all electricity is away until i release the start button.

It looks to me, as if a main fuse is too small or as if the starter tries to get too much amperes. The starter does not begin to turn anyway.

Any ideas? Which fuse may be damaged.

thanx and regards

Gilles

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does it sound like a ratatatatat type noise?

If so it could be the starter solenoid tripping due to low amps available in the battery when you go to crank. Note it's amps not volts so the battery may still read 12+v but not have enough "ommph" to turn the engine over properly.

This can be due to the battery going flat (or much more likely) the cold inhibiting the chemical reaction in the battery.

The solenoid trips and prevents the startmotor turning in the event of not enough power to start the engine to make sure unburnt fuel doesn't find its way into the cat converter (bad - cars have caught fire this way)

The easiest option is to whip the battery out and leave it indoors for a bit to heat up or even holding a hairdryer on the battery for a few mins.

If the starter main fuse had gone then there would be no power drain when cranking and the lights/dash wouldn't dim.

Hi ADS,

well, ok, it sounds like slotch tschosch tschosch or ratatataata, whatever.

It is very cold over here. It looks like as if a fuse collapses, because the dash goes out. It may also be a collapsing batterie. I think you are correct and i will test it.

Would it help to jump start the batterie with another car?

regards

Oliver

Jump starting will work as you'll be using that as a power source and not the cold battery in your car. Charging does heat up the battery so it'll be ok but once it gets cold again it'll have trouble.

The 211 battery is a very small race unit so will suffer as the temps drop. Ironcially cold weather helps prevent the natural leakage between the terminals so they hold their charge better but are just unable to use it effectively.

The dash going out is fine - the car is wired with many of the non-essential circuits to drop out under cranking to reduce the load on the battery. It's just normally the car "catches" pretty quick so you don't notice it. If a fuse goes it's gone so it'll not do anything after that.

Heating the battery should be fine too - in extreme conditions batteries have an internal heating element powered by the unit itself to help starting.