Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
[FOR SALE]Lotus Hans seats (special offer) - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

[FOR SALE]Lotus Hans seats (special offer)

Scotty C

Russell @ Lotus motorsport called me this afternoon.

They have 15 pairs only of the New HANS seats. Carbon fiber c/w padding, they are non- FIA aproved. Think they could be the same as the ones in the NEW 260 cup.

If anyone wants a cheap pair of new seats

Here for a good time, not a long time

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard it is not. But, better to get someone else's take on this as I'm certainly not an expert. Also if not compatible it would be interesting to see why not with this particular seat? Again if this is the case, perhaps some of the other restraints (such as an r-3) would work for us???

Hi All, a little more detail on these special offer seats so you understand precisely what they are. As you probably know we have introduced a new, Lotus designed and manufactured carbon fibre, HANS compatible and FIA approved seat in the Sport 260 Exige. This seat has been designed to mount on either the standard Elise/Exige/2-Eleven runners so that the drivers seat can be slid back and forth easily (but nor compliant with FIA regulations) or on fixed FIA regulation side plates, in which case the FIA approval is valid and the seat can be used in race events where an FIA seat is mandatory. It's wider across the base than the Recaro seat we have used previously, more comfortable and, when mounted on the FIA side mounts it has a much greater range of fore and aft, up and down and rake adjustment. In it's lowest setting it is hard up against the floor to get the driver absolutely as low in the car as possible. I'm 5'9" tall and with the seat in it's most rearwards and raked position I can't fully depress the clutch pedal at full stretch, so it will make life a lot better for larger drivers. These seats can also be fitted as a matching pairside by side unlike the Recaro and can be used with three point, four point or sixpoint harnesses as required. The headrest has also been repositioned to make it more comfortable when wearing a crash helmet. These new seats are not yet available as an aftermarket part as demand for the Cup 260 Exige is absorbing our carbon seat production capacity, although I expect them to become available in three or four months time. at a price comparable with other FIA approved Carbon Fibre seats.

During development of these seats we trialled a number of different manufacturing processes before deciding on the most efficient which we then adopted for the production seats. During these trials we produced a number of test seats which although still made in carbon fibre were not made to the final moulding process and cannot therefore be covered by the same FIA approval as the production seats. The cost of a separate FIA approval impact test programme for this small batch of seats was uneconomical. We have therefore decided to sell them off as non-FIA approved seats suitable for track day or non-FIA motorsport use at a one off, bargain basement price to recover some of our costs and to give you a cost effective, lightweight seat option. The seat is the same basic shell as the Cup 260 seat shown above, but without the large cutouts in the sides so they cannot be used with a three point lap and diagonal seatbelt. They have a continuous flange running along the side like a more conventional racing seat with apertures for four or six point harnesses already cut in to them. The seat shell is about a kilogram lighter than the glassfibre sport seat shell, in trimmed state I would expect the difference to be closer to 1.5kg per seat. The seat is much stiffer than the sport seat due to the buttressed side panel design and they can be placed side by side in any Elise, Exige, 2-Eleven or Europa. Unless you choose to pay extra and wait a little longer for a "to your specification" custom trim the seats are trimmed in Black velour cloth like the Recaro seats were, with a Lotus Sport logo on the headrest. The carbon fibre is painted a satin black; there is no exposed carbon fibre visible on the seat shell. The seats have been tested for strength to the same standards as our normal non-FIA road car seats as used in the Elise, Exige and 2-Eleven. I will have a picture shortly and will post it as soon as I can.

The price is

Edited by Nick Adams

Nick,

Thank you for the clarification on the seats, I was wondering how the rumored seat development was going.

The Recarros, fine as they are, unfortunately offer almost no practical adjustment. I am 6'-2" and when I tried to lower the seat to the floor its configuration would not allow it to be placed so. Also, it was pure hell to get it in and out. The only other option I had left was to raise the height of the roll bar.

Looking forward to the arrival of the newer, and I am assuming lighter, (naturally :-) ) seats. Hopefully at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the efforts.

Al B.

Hoping to have the car SCCA compliant for 2010.

Russell @ Lotus motorsport called me this afternoon.

I bought a set but was almost tempted to buy another as the price for a pair will be what one seat will set you back when they get launched.

That's just being plain greedy :lol:

Paul

Hi Nick.

Despite my Recaro seat is fully forward position, I can not depress cluch pedal fully. :P

No more front position due to interference between Rt. side wing and Lt. side of centerconsole.

(170cm tall. short height) :lol:

Can this HANS seat be soluion for this situation?

Hi JK, yes, the new seat resolves this issue completely. The seat runs through the full range of fore and aft adjustment on the sliding runners and when mounted on the FIA side plates it can go almost as far forward and further back. It can also be tilted on the side plates for a taller driver or lifted higher to help a shorter guy. I can also supply, to special order, special side plates to suit even shorter drivers or those with special requirements....

Sadly all of the bargain basement non-FIA seats mentioned above have been sold now, but the full FIA spec carbon HANS seat will be available before too much longer with all the same benefits and more. I will post details when I have them.

Scotty, I'm not sure about a cut of the proceeds, but you will always have my gratitude, and who knows what that may translate into the next time you car is in the Lotus Sport workshop.... :lol:

Cheers all, Nick

Motorlife,

You can gain full use of the seat rails by slightly sanding down the edges of the seat where they come in contact with the car. It may just be enough. For me, I need just a hair more to be completely comfortable with the seating position.

Nick, any help for us shot guys with the FIA Recaro's?

Almost forgot--pull the cloth off were you are going to sand--then just cover it back after-- it will look factory perfect.

Edited by 1418

Hi Manny, the new seat is the only complete answer I have for the more vertically challenged; the only way I could get an FIA seat that would fit with enough clearance to allow adjustment was to make one and I could only do that when I could prove I could sell enough to see a return on the costs. One way to make things more confortable for a shorter driver in the Recaro is to use a 2-pack foam kit to mould a seat liner which pushes the driver further forward, but this is a job best done by an experienced race prep shop as the mess that you can make if you get it wrong (and it's very easy to get wrong) is incredible. I have a good friend here at Hethel who glued himself into his road/race car seat a few years back while foaming a liner and spent all night stuck in the car 'cos his wife had gone to bed and he couldn't reach the battery master switch so he could sound the horn to attract her attention! :lol:

Please be aware that any modification to the seat shell invalidates the FIA approval, you really should be careful if you want to do this as you could weaken the seat shell and that can be very bad in an accident.

Jack, I don't know if you got a seat or not. I made sure Adrian got your message first thing Monday, I will check with him tomorrow and get him to drop you a line.

Nick

Sounds like the time I got stuck up in my attic when the ladder fell. I wholeheartedly feel my wife chose to ignore my yells. For hours...

As for sanding the seat, I see your point. It is just an option available, one which I felt comfortable doing. What I took off is basically part of the edge or lip on each side. It reduces the width just enough to use the "vertically challenged settings". Again- a very valid point on safety.