Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Digital TV and DVD connections - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Digital TV and DVD connections

Backmarker

I've tried to embrace the digital age but come a little unstuck.

Purchased Tv with built in Digital tuner (Freeview) and treated myself to Top up Tv for the bike racing on British Eurosport. Tv is fine in that it now allows to get bored looking at 41 channels rather then the usual 5 analogue channels.

To kiss goodbye to video, I've also bought a DVD Recorder. Like the telly, it tuned itself whilst I set back with a glass of claret. Howver, the DVD can only find the 5 analogue channels and none of the digital channels. How come ?

I'm sure all the leads are connected as instructed so why the problem ?

Any suggestions (apart from putting the lot in the bin) would be appreciated.

All this techno stuff is stopping me from driving my Esprit :)

Cheers,

Backmarker

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to embrace the digital age but come a little unstuck.

Purchased Tv with built in Digital tuner (Freeview) and treated myself to Top up Tv for the bike racing on British Eurosport. Tv is fine in that it now allows to get bored looking at 41 channels rather then the usual 5 analogue channels.

To kiss goodbye to video, I've also bought a DVD Recorder. Like the telly, it tuned itself whilst I set back with a glass of claret. Howver, the DVD can only find the 5 analogue channels and none of the digital channels. How come ?

I'm sure all the leads are connected as instructed so why the problem ?

Any suggestions (apart from putting the lot in the bin) would be appreciated.

All this techno stuff is stopping me from driving my Esprit  :)

Cheers,

Backmarker

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check that the onboard menu selection on the DVD recorder has the correct channels selected and the as the default may only have the analog channels selected.

I might stating the obvious but does the DVD recorder also have a built in digital receiver?

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

If it helps...

My video could only see the five terrestreial (sic) channels, and

i assmed i'd not be able to record any digital ones.

Turns out i needed to set my video to AV2, now it can see and record

all the digital channels, but i have to be watching the one i'm recording.

:)

I have the same TV system ie built in Freeview. I have to select analogue OR digital on the TV and can watch either. On connecting my VCR I had to make 2 connections into it, one analogue and one video. When I record I select analogue recording through a coaxial input but do my digital through a scart socket. If your TV is the same you might need to do this?

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I might stating the obvious but does the DVD recorder also have a built in digital receiver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're not stating the obvious...........I thought they all did ?

The TV aerial feeds into the DVD first and the into the TV. I pick up the digital channels when the DVD is off, but as soon as the DVD is swithed on the programme changes to analogue. Sounds as if I've boobed ! Sounds as if I've brought a brand new DVD Recorder that doesn't recieve digital signals. Oops !

If that's right, can it be turned into a digital receiver or have I got to throw it away and buy afresh (without telling her indoors........) :)

Graham

"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Graham

Put a scart lead between the TV and DVD Recorder and you should be able to see digital transmissions by playing roulnd with the input selectors. Keep the TV on while you do this. As Paul says I can only tape the digital TV channel I'm watching. Means for timer recording I have to time VCR AND TV. Ball ache but it gets me by.........

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Graham

Put a scart lead between the TV and DVD Recorder and you should be able to see digital transmissions by playing roulnd with the input selectors. Keep the TV on while you do this. As Paul says I can only tape the digital TV channel I'm watching. Means for timer recording I have to time VCR AND TV. Ball ache but it gets me by.........

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mat,

Got a scart lead between TV and DVD. This was as per instruction manual. DVD also has a jack plug marked "Digital Coaxial" which currently isn't used. Manual suggests that this is only for sound not picture and I can see no where to connect it on the TV anyway. I've got 2 scarts on the back of the TV and 2 on the back of the DVD but connections appear to be correct.

Graham.

You're not stating the obvious...........I thought they all did ?

The TV aerial feeds into the DVD first and the into the TV. I pick up the digital channels when the DVD is off, but as soon as the DVD is swithed on the programme changes to analogue. Sounds as if I've boobed ! Sounds as if I've brought a brand new DVD Recorder that doesn't recieve digital signals. Oops !

If that's right, can it be turned into a digital receiver or have I got to throw it away and buy afresh (without telling her indoors........) :)

Graham

There's a few reasons why a DVD recorder doesn't always have a digital receiver. First off there's more than just Freeview, others may want or already have Sky, NTL or Telewest. Secondly even recording an analogue signal, the quality will be vastly better than your old grainy fuzzy VHS. And third DVD is a more convenient format than VHS.

So as others have suggested you need to set up the SCART leads properly. One to send the DVD output to the TV. And another to send the TV output (from its digital receiver) to your DVD. You'll also need to select the SCART's corresponding AV channel on the DVD instead of a regular analogue one.

Personally I think it would be better to just buy a Freeview box and plug it into the DVD. You can get them for something like 25 quid. That means you don't need to have the TV on to record a digital channel, and you'll still be able to doing of old favorite of recording one (digital) channel whilst watching another (digital) channel.

Edited by neal

There's a few reasons why a DVD recorder doesn't always have a digital receiver.  First off there's more than just Freeview, others may want or already have Sky, NTL or Telewest.  Secondly even recording an analogue signal, the quality will be vastly better than your old grainy fuzzy VHS.  And third DVD is a more convenient format than VHS.

So as others have suggested you need to set up the SCART leads properly.  One to send the DVD output to the TV.  And another to send the TV output (from its digital receiver) to your DVD.  You'll also need to select the SCART's corresponding AV channel on the DVD instead of a regular analogue one.

Personally I think it would be better to just buy a Freeview box and plug it into the DVD.  You can get them for something like 25 quid.  That means you don't need to have the TV on to record a digital channel, and you'll still be able to doing of old  favorite of recording one (digital) channel whilst watching another (digital) channel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the sound of that idea. I've now got the extra scart lead and will set it up tonight. If demand is high, I'll buy a top box just for the DVD.

Thanks gang.

Graham.

Neal,

Taking your idea a bit further and thinking aloud, the route of the aerial would be top-box, DVD and then telly. Am I right ? As the telly is already fitted with a digital receiver, I could then watch one digital channel whilst recording another. Correct ?

If I subscribe to Top-up TV, the card should go in the Top-box rather than the TV, so that that way I can record the Top-up TV rather than just watch it. Does that make sense? :mellow:

In the meantime, I'll keep my wallet in my pocket pending your response.

Cheers,

Graham.

Neal,

Taking your idea a bit further and thinking aloud, the route of the aerial would be top-box, DVD and then telly. Am I right ? As the telly is already fitted with a digital receiver, I could then watch one digital channel whilst recording another. Correct ?

If I subscribe to Top-up TV, the card should go in the Top-box rather than the TV, so that that way I can record the Top-up TV rather than just watch it. Does that make sense?

All sounds good to me B)