Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
G car moulds - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

G car moulds

i know it is part of the vehicle ,but i think it is finished badly- the moulds on the G-car

yes those afterthoughts that make up the join of the entire shell, really need changing.

Does anyone know ,if you file the join down,how far can you go before weakening the bond.?

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

I removed mine, and I looked inside the body sections, and there is more material there than the thickness. Also, remember, it's easy to remove the door piece, as it's just a FAKE piece to link the front and rear seam-line-hiding-trim pieces. It just took a long time and bodywork skills to sand, blend, repaint...etc Here is a picture of my car to show what the removed seams look like, and it definitely modernizes the car.

Just ignore the extra NACA duct for my extra chargecooler radiators :ph34r:

Paul

94S4

85TE

customLotusEsprit-1.jpg

• Like 1

Guest surferphil

i know it is part of the vehicle ,but i think it is finished badly- the moulds on the G-car

yes those afterthoughts that make up the join of the entire shell, really need changing.

Does anyone know ,if you file the join down,how far can you go before weakening the bond.?

richard

The more you file the weaker it will get.

If you can get to the inside of the join, you could strengthen it with an extra layer of Glass/Carbon and resin. Then remove the outer lip with a lot more confedence. To do a really good job you could also do a flush laminate over the outside of the join. :ph34r:

• 7 months later...

So glad I found this topic, as i have been pondering on this for some months now. To do or not to do. The otherthing I am considering is smoothing off the chamfer on the add on sills and front and rear valences to get away from the "80's add on skirt look. Anyone done that?

Keitht

Be careful when blending body seams "chamfering". I know that there are schools of thought that "modern" cars have an all smooth body...... But if you have ever seen people blend their car's body lines/panel lines, then you knnow that the overall end result is that it Really, Really ends up looking like an upside down plastic "thing". Gordonie did it to his yellow V8 aka"Mello Yello" and having seen the back side, where he blended the panel lines, bumper, etc.... it really ended up looking like a "kit car".

If you really want to smooth and blend the car's panels, I suggest that you put a thin black "panel line" between the pieces... It will look so much better.

Just my 02c

Paul

94S4

85TE

Hi Paul

I have a copy of the one pic of your car but I would like to see a couple of them if possible - with reference to the remove of the moulds and where they ended .

if you have it would be great if you posted them on this site for all to reference.

i almost started a couple of days ago with this project and thought , rather go for a drive - have to start soon.

thanks

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

I removed the waste line trim on mine this summer, a lot more work involved though.

When you take off the trim carrier on the door there is an ugly bump, there's no way to replicate it to the other panels so the best solution is to sand it flat to the profile of the bottom section.

I stripped the doors to their shell so that I could add fibreglass behind the line inside before I sanded the doors.

For the rest of the body I added fibreglass to the inside to strengthen the joins on the front and rear wings, the rear being the hardest because of the air filter & tanks.

Then finally lots of fibreglass & plastic flexible filler plenty of sanding and re-applying (about 30hrs of labout to get looking right - tip buy a decent sander with velcro type sanding paper!).

All the effort pays of as the car really does look great without the trim.

Here's some pics of my car, and before paint.... You will notice I also sculpted in extra air intakes behind the doors for the intercooler radiators located just over the fuel tanks. (That may not be to everybodies taste) I also put some ground effects straking and splitters under the car.

Paul

post-4747-032477000 1281727691.jpg

post-4747-063752100 1281727727.jpg

post-4747-020769400 1281727742.jpg

post-4747-022997700 1281727758.jpg

post-4747-098396000 1281727776.jpg