Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What do I learn from this S1 VIN? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What do I learn from this S1 VIN?

ElEsprito

Hello all,

I'm considering an Esprit S1, one of very few that seem to have been delivered to The Netherlands (so it's a LHD).

The VIN is this: 77010 100 J

And the engine nr is this: 7770113393

It is my understanding from another post that Esprit's S1 start at '0100', does this mean that this is the first car that left the factory in the production year 1977?

Also, are you aware of any contacts at Lotus which are willing to share some info based on a VIN?

And the last question: when did Lotus stop with the coloured gelcoat? Would it be possible that this car has a coloured gelcoat?

Thanks!

Dennis

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Dennis

77010 100 J is broken down as....

77 01 0100 J

77 = 1977

01 = January

0100 = Chassis number

J = rest of the world ( G = GB, H = USA)

I dont have my chassis number listing to hand to confirm the number but it would suggest that its the first car produced for export other than to the USA.

It was only the very early cars that were gel coat so i believe that this would have been a painted car.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

so the production numbers are counted per 'destination'?

It would be great if you can match it against your list. I've checked the availability of the online Esprit VINS list at the Texas Sports car club, but couldn't find it.

Rgds

Dennis

Thanks again Gordon. Yes, the original colour of the car was white, I believe with the tartan interiour. Currently, the car is red with black leather.

I've also emailed Lotus, asking whether they can check for matching nr's. Is matching numbers a big thing in Esprits S1? Maybe it will be in the future.

Rgds

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

Yes, you have the (numerically) first "RoW" S1! :) :) :) What a find!!

Gordon's is the first ever S1; Production in 1976 was almost all UK cars; the first LHD cars (Federal or RoW) were in late 1976 -- I think there are a couple of Federal cars with 7612 serial numbers, but for all intents and purposes, LHD cars started in Jan. of 77. But its being "100" has nothing to do with the start of the year.

Regading gelcoat, the rough "stopping" point for gelcoat is around April of 1977, although some painted cars left the factory earlier, and some gelcoat cars left the factory later. Your car is almost certainly a gelcoat car; the way to tell is looking at the paint code, which is in the bottom left corner of of the identification plate in the front compartment. If it starts with an "S", it is a gelcoat car; if it starts with "L", it is nitrocellulose lacquer. Your paint code will probably be "S01" for white. White lacquer (Monaco White) is L25.

- TK

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE