Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Get a V8 or keep the S4s? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Get a V8 or keep the S4s?

fmxa

Okay folks, need some opinions on this - I've got an pristine S4s with zero issues that runs great and looks amazing (see garage for pics).

Now, I've seen and driven a very nice 97 V8 in pearl white (very unusual color, I'm told only 6 in the US) which I really like, but needs a few items fixed:

1) Cracked front bumper (could be expensive - quotes range from $2000 to $5900 for full replacement)

2) Needs new cam belts etc ~$1500 (has 25K miles on 8 year old belts)

3) Magnolia leather has yellowing in places from some crap leather cleaner or armoral etc (price unknown?)

4) Has the original clutch with 25Kmiles (couldn't feel any slip)

5) Few other things such as sticky door locks, hatch struts needs replacing, new exhaust tips and a good clean-up.

I think I can get it for ~$38-39K (subject to a inspection) and I've already been offered $40K for my S4s; so question is - should I get rid of the S4s for a very unusual pearl white color V8?

The PO I bought the S4s from was selling to get a V8, and he later told me he really regretted selling the S4s for the V8! Decisions, decisions ......

Anyone here gone from a S4s to a V8?

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I'm no one to ask seeing as I've never driven a V8, and never have driven an S4s yet unless you'd like to trade cars with me for a few days :lol:

But my heart tells me to tell you to keep your car, it being issue free as you say and all, which is worth a lot in Esprit terms.

Having seen your car personally it looks great :lol: having an issue free car really is great... I'm not sure if I would trade in my own car for an S4s, or even a V8 even if the exchange rate were in my favor... I'd be afraid to risk it!

And from what you were telling me about the previous V8s you've driven, sounds like you thought your car came out on top anyways. Did this car change that?

I plan on someday having an S4s (like yours) or a V8, but not until I can afford to keep both it and my own car :lol: I know I'd regret getting rid of my ol' 4 banger, even if it is slower...

I'd rather have the pinnacle of 4 cylinder engineering (which the S4s is in the states, X180R excluded) than have one of the earliest V8s personally, if you come at it from that angle.

Course I've never driven the V8, so that's all speculative :D

I'm reminded of GPZ900R's situation... Not to sound like a voodoo fortune teller. Except he went from white to red as I recall, so maybe the effect will be reverse for you

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

It's not just that it's a V8, it's more the color (or colour for everyone in the UK!)

Hi there, I own a V8 GT which I bought last June. I used to own an S4s in same colour as yours previously.

Everyone has different opinions about the V8 and 4 cylinders but in my experience, I've never looked back. The V8 is a completely different car as it always should have been. It feels more like a supercar than ever.

If your worried about the lazy power and torque and think you might miss the huge turbo kick in your back then simply buy a chip or boost controller. I have a boost controller on mine. 1st and 2nd gear are now full boost but full boost is still set at 0.75BAR.

Since I've put this on I've got the best of both worlds. It's feels quicker than the S4s but that's just my opinion.

Downside can be running costs if your V8 starts breaking down. Simple servicing actually costs less but the cambelt cahnge is more expensive.

I recently bought an S4 because it needed a new manifold and a service. I plan to sell it on. I know this only has 264BHP as opposed to 300BHP on the S4s but when I've driven the S4, it further reconfirms that I made the right choice!

There seems to be endless debate about 4 cyclinders versus V8s, with 4 cyclinder owners saying that 4s are best and V8 owners insistig V8s are the best.

Here's my advice on the subject : Just buy what YOU want !!

Right then, said Fred.

Thanks everyone - If I can get the V8 at the "right" price I'm going for it!!!

What, you're not into the Maimi Vice look :P

The V8 is a great colour :P

Im not keen on the matching interior though :(

Your car looks like a million bucks :P

Good luck with your deal :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Chelsea Martyn
Thanks everyone - If I can get the V8 at the "right" price I'm going for it!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Paul

I went in a the deep end and went for a V8 which I got with a warranty etc.

I still have not driven a 4 pot Esprit, BUT... I have taken 4 cylinder owners out in mine.

This has ranged from Turbo Esprit, to mates who are ex owners one having had a GT4 and another who had an S4s.

All have used four-letter rude words in describing the break neck acceleration, and cannot get over the pull up to 70 and errr.. say no more

If you can afford to run either model, drive them both and let yyour heart do the rest!

I don't know if you've posted a pic above and I can't see it, but this is the one right?

i2822580_81450_4.jpg

I didn't know they made any more pearl white Esprits after the 89 special edition. Have you had a test drive?

Edited by britten_mark

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yep thats the one, and yes I've driven the car. What you can't see in that picture is the cracked front bumper and the yellowing leather (in places).

I don't know if you've posted a pic above and I can't see it, but this is the one right?

I didn't know they made any more pearl white Esprits after the 89 special edition. Have you had a test drive?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep thats the one, and yes I've driven the car.  What you can't see in that picture is the cracked front bumper and the yellowing leather (in places).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great colour. My V8 is about to have an engine rebuild :P , so may be worth sticking with what you know. Although there is something about the V8! :P

i2822580_81450_4.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fmxa,

I can see why your tempted, thats a fabulous looking car !!!

but...

It sounds like you already own a pretty exceptional car. I hope it all goes well with v8 if you do buy it.

There seems to be endless debate about 4 cyclinders versus V8s, with 4 cyclinder owners saying that 4s are best and V8 owners insistig V8s are the best.

Here's my advice on the subject :  Just buy what YOU want !!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMEN .. OR BE LIKE ME .. BITCH AND COMPLAIN UNTIL YOU CAN ACTUALLY HAVE ONE!

Dont worry Toua, if you want one bad enough you'll get one! BTW cute girlfriend :lol:

AMEN .. OR BE LIKE ME .. BITCH AND COMPLAIN UNTIL YOU CAN ACTUALLY HAVE ONE!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Update - I've decided to pass on the 97 pearl white V8 - The dealer was making getting a pre-purchase inspection very difficult - wanted all the money for the car ($39K) up front before he'd allow it to be moved for an inspection, and even then wouldn't allow anyone to test drive it (not certain how it was meant to be inspected and checked if the mechanic can't test drive it!).

Oh well, plenty more out there .......

Edited by fmxa