Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear end overhaul - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear end overhaul

I knew I had a dodgy rear u-joint when I bought the car. We arranged to have a lot of work done by the Lotus restorer when I bought it but the rear of the car was left out since so much was a priority elsewhere. The front end was given a very thorough rebuild before delivery. I knew the rear needed the same but just could not find a wrench bender (service facility) that didn't require gigantic hourly rates. A local exotic car show was coming up and I wanted to take the Esprit, even if only as transport to the event. So I set aside 3 days to do the rear shocks, calipers, brakes and u-joints. Pardon the poor pics, they weren't the priority at the time. :-)

nov2009espritrearendreb.jpg

nov2009espritrearendrebp.jpg

So most of you have seen this kind of stuff before, appalling looking bits and general condition showing a lack of owner involvement.

I know these aren't anything leading edge but I already had the Spax up front so I stayed with them for the rear.

nov2009espritrearendrebx.jpg

After 34 hours or so, and only had marginal tools. I only got the hub out of the bad side, I had 4 u-joints and the plan was to do all of them. The opposite side wouldn't budge and even on the side that did, I couldn't get any of the bolts out of the rotor. So they got surfaced in situ, 1 caliper got rebuilt (one was awful and one was obviously recently done) and new pads installed. Should be perfectly driveable, just not the thorough going through I wanted. Next time, I'm hiring a pro:

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting shroud you have over the exhaust in the first pic. My car doesn't have one of those. I'm glad to see that my S1 isn't the only car to have black muck covering every inch of the gearbox casing! I'm hoping there's a fix for whatever leak causes that :)

The most obvious leak I had was the clutch slave, which has since been replaced. Just have a long list of stuff to do more important than cleaning up the gearbox. :-)

Getting anxious for the rebuilt master cylinder/booster to be returned........until then the cars stuck in the garage, as is the car above it......

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Those old springs and shocks look pristine compared to the ones on mine ( and I suspect many others that are on the heavily salted roads in the winter month in the UK).

Think barnacle encusted marine salvage and you'll get the idea.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

The most obvious leak I had was the clutch slave, which has since been replaced. Just have a long list of stuff to do more important than cleaning up the gearbox. :-)

Getting anxious for the rebuilt master cylinder/booster to be returned........until then the cars stuck in the garage, as is the car above it......

Rodewaryer, I see you are in town. Do you have the blue S1 I saw in NE Mesa a couple of years ago? I had an S1 too (yellow) for a while, also a S2 (gold) and currently a Turbo (black). What exotic car show where you going too? I assume I missed it. If you are interested there is a Lotus club meet at the Rock Bottom Brewery on Shea next to the 101 on Thursday the 21st (third Thursday of every month at 7 PM, Loti park NE of the resturant) if you are interested. Note your a member if you show up... no dues. Also on the first Saturday of the month there is a cars and coffee meet at Scottsdale Road and Doubletree it normally runs from 8 AM to 10 AM (a little earlier in the summer). Quite a few exotics show up. We have seen everything from a real 250 GTO to a Fiat 600. Everyone is welcome. Hope you get your car back on the road soon, keep us posted.

Cheers Jim

Rodewaryer, I see you are in town. Do you have the blue S1 I saw in NE Mesa a couple of years ago? I had an S1 too (yellow) for a while, also a S2 (gold) and currently a Turbo (black). What exotic car show where you going too? I assume I missed it. If you are interested there is a Lotus club meet at the Rock Bottom Brewery on Shea next to the 101 on Thursday the 21st (third Thursday of every month at 7 PM, Loti park NE of the resturant) if you are interested. Note your a member if you show up... no dues. Also on the first Saturday of the month there is a cars and coffee meet at Scottsdale Road and Doubletree it normally runs from 8 AM to 10 AM (a little earlier in the summer). Quite a few exotics show up. We have seen everything from a real 250 GTO to a Fiat 600. Everyone is welcome. Hope you get your car back on the road soon, keep us posted.

Cheers Jim

Are you the Jim that sends us the meeting/event emails for the Lotus owners of Phoenix? Mine's white and hasn't made it to a meeting yet, I personally have pretty pitiful local meeting attendance having only made one so far.

Good info on the 1st Saturday of the month, didn't know about that one. The only thing the car made it to was a cars and coffee at Bondurants some months ago. I plan to make the Wheels of Britian this year, if I have to push the bloody car......Still no Master cyl yet, should get it back anytime now. Pretty anxious in fact.....

:-)

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Are you the Jim that sends us the meeting/event emails for the Lotus owners of Phoenix? Mine's white and hasn't made it to a meeting yet, I personally have pretty pitiful local meeting attendance having only made one so far.

Good info on the 1st Saturday of the month, didn't know about that one. The only thing the car made it to was a cars and coffee at Bondurants some months ago. I plan to make the Wheels of Britian this year, if I have to push the bloody car......Still no Master cyl yet, should get it back anytime now. Pretty anxious in fact.....

:-)

No that is the Lotus club president. The more I think about it, it sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder if I talked to you at the meeting you attended. I typically make about 4 to 5 meeting a year. I am planning on having my Turbo at the Wheels of Britain show too if I do not have any conflicts so hopefully we will see you then.